Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X: my external instrumental track has NO OUTPUT.

I can record it, but I can't hear this, it appears on screen, but it doesn't have any sound. That track has a NO OUTPUT message. How to setup output on external instrumental track? Thanks

Logic Pro X, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 3:16 PM

What is you're external instrument... do you have a MIDI instrument (keyboard...etc) hooked up? If so, audio (sound) will come out of the external instrument's output jack. MIDI itself is not sound, it's just a data recording of your keyboard performance.

Please be more specific.

6 replies

Apr 20, 2015 3:42 PM in response to rherdi

Yes, an audio interface is best.

Many beginner's confuse MIDI with "sound" it's not, the MIDI recording made with the Clavinova could play back any number of MIDI instruments or any of Logic's internal instruments using any sound they are capable of producing. Recorded MIDI is simply a recording of which key you pressed(C5 A4 D6), how long you held it down, how hard (fast-velocity) it was played, whether the sustain pedal was applied...etc.

I assume you've used the Clavinova to play some of Logic's internal instruments.

You know what Bach said about playing the piano? "Just hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." 😉

Apr 21, 2015 11:43 AM in response to rherdi

Pretty sure that model has a multipurpose Input Jack... if you go to Audio-MIDI Setup in Utilities, under Audio Input see if Line-In is listed.

You would need a cable from the Line out of the Clavinova to the input jack on the computer. And then setup Logic's Preferences/Audio. Logic's preferences are set separately. In fact, if you open Logic and go to Preferences/Audio you can see what Logic is using for both Input and Output I/O, click and hold over each one and you can see the selections available. If you do come up with a cable always start with the Clavinova's output level set low.

Usually a dedicated audio interface will get you a better recording, but you have to purchase wisely to insure current and future compatibility.

Logic Pro X: my external instrumental track has NO OUTPUT.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.