Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won't connect but Chrome will, why?

I Have A new iPad Air purchased a month ago. To start with Safari worked extremely well but recently in the last 23 days Safari won't connect to the Internet.

I have Google chrome installed and that works fine but it is not as fast as Safari was and doesn't Play any video or TV. Can anyone suggest what I can do to get Safari working again? Thanks in advance for your help.

iPad Air, Operating system: not sure w

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 12:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 1:29 PM

0down vote

See if you can load http://74.125.224.81/ from Safari. That's an IP address for www.google.com. If it works, but www.google.com doesn't work, then you have a DNS problem that's only affecting Safari.

OPEN TERMINAL AND TYPE OR COPY AND PASTE THE COMMAND BELOW:

sudo killall -9 mDNSResponder

This will cause one of Mac OS X's DNS resolver systems to be restarted, and could clear up the problem. There is more than one DNS resolver in Mac OS X, and Firefox and Chrome may not be using mDNSResolver. THIS ONE WORKED FOR ME!!!!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2015 1:29 PM in response to MrMysto

0down vote

See if you can load http://74.125.224.81/ from Safari. That's an IP address for www.google.com. If it works, but www.google.com doesn't work, then you have a DNS problem that's only affecting Safari.

OPEN TERMINAL AND TYPE OR COPY AND PASTE THE COMMAND BELOW:

sudo killall -9 mDNSResponder

This will cause one of Mac OS X's DNS resolver systems to be restarted, and could clear up the problem. There is more than one DNS resolver in Mac OS X, and Firefox and Chrome may not be using mDNSResolver. THIS ONE WORKED FOR ME!!!!

Safari won't connect but Chrome will, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.