Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro overheats in sleep

Recently I've noticed that my MacBook Pro doesn't always go into sleep when I close the lid or even if I click "Sleep" in the Apple menu. I'm a college student, so I usually put my laptop into its sleeve and into my backpack to take to class, thinking that my computer is asleep. When I take it out it's usually really warm and you can hear the fans going off. It then takes a while to wake up and cool down. And when it does wake up, it's slow (hello spinning beachball) and sometimes freezes. I've also noticed that when I put it into sleep the display goes to sleep but the sleep indicator light doesn't pulsate on and off like it used to; it stays on for a while. Sometimes after a minute it will pulsate like it's supposed to.

I have a MacBook Pro (13", mid 2012) and keep the OS and other software up to date.

Version: OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Processor speed: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Storage capacity: 500GB

I've tried almost all the troubleshooting steps you could find on the internet...

• Deleting junk and large files
  • Verifying and repairing permissions and disk
  • Apple Hardware Test
  • Resetting the SMC
  • Defaulting the Energy Saver options

When I put pmset -g into Terminal I get:

Active Profiles:

Battery Power 1

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

standbydelay 4200

standby 0

womp 0

halfdim 1

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

sms 1

networkoversleep 0

disksleep 10

sleep 10 (sleep prevented by UserEventAgent, UserEventAgent, UserEventAgent, UserEventAgent, UserEventAgent, UserEventAgent, UserEventAgent)

autopoweroffdelay 14400

hibernatemode 3

autopoweroff 1

ttyskeepawake 1

displaysleep 1

acwake 0

lidwake 1

I don't know what "UserEventAgent" is or why it appears 7 times. When I did this I only had chrome and the Terminal open.

And when I do syslog | grep -i "Wake reason" I get:

Apr 14 04:12:22 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.LidOpen EHC1 (User)

Apr 14 13:28:31 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

Apr 14 13:30:48 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.LidOpen (User)

Apr 14 20:00:26 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.LidOpen (User)

Apr 15 01:28:30 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.ACAttach (Maintenance)

Apr 15 01:30:07 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

Apr 15 08:21:42 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.ACDetach (Maintenance)

Apr 15 08:43:52 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.LidOpen (User)

Apr 15 09:50:10 airbears2-10-142-144-172 kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EHC1

Apr 15 10:40:05 airbears2-10-142-144-172 kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.ACDetach (Maintenance)

Apr 15 11:02:56 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.LidOpen (User)

Apr 16 15:40:20 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC EHC1 (Alarm)

Apr 17 08:02:36 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.LidOpen (User)

Apr 17 09:00:18 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EHC1

Apr 17 13:12:13 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.LidOpen (User)

Apr 17 13:14:27 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.LidOpen (User)

Apr 17 15:14:34 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

Apr 19 13:12:31 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.LidOpen (User)

Apr 19 13:14:32 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.LidOpen (User)

Apr 19 13:22:59 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.LidClose (Maintenance)

Apr 19 13:25:18 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.LidOpen (User)

Apr 20 00:55:08 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.ACAttach EHC1 (User)

Apr 20 01:08:33 Carolyns-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EC.LidOpen PWRB (User)

Has anyone had this same problem and been able to fix it? I want to try everything I can before taking it in to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store. Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 2:23 AM

4 replies

Apr 20, 2015 5:08 AM in response to carmagxonline

Firstly try Apples solutions to the problem you're experiencing: OS X: When your Mac doesn't sleep or wake - Apple Support

A quick browse on the internet reveals that you aren't the only one with this problem, here are some solutions that the great Apple community have used:

Try running verify/repair disc permissions, then restarting. Also, try closing some app's you aren't using before the sleep.

Create a new User in System Preferences for testing. Log out under the Apple in the Menu bar. Log into new User. You can skip the Apple ID setup. Does the Mac sleep correctly in the new User? If no, then the problem is with your base files. If yes, then the problem is in your User's folder.

If there are print jobs in the queue that cannot be printed because my printer is switched off, my iMac does not want to go to sleep either.

After printing the jobs, sleep works here again.

I've trawled the web looking for a cure for this and I came across a suggestion to unhook the ethernet cable and just connect by wifi. It's working for me. So far!

Workaround - System Preferences>>>Energy Saver>>>Computer Sleep - Never - Uncheck all options. = Put Mac in Sleep Mode Manually.

I found my cause/solution! In my Mac Preferences/Sharing I had Internet Sharing selected. It states when selected that computers connected via A/C power will not sleep while internet sharing is turned on. For giggles I unselected it, and voila, no more sleep issues. Not sure how or why I had it selected in the first place.

Hope this helps.

Macbook Pro overheats in sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.