Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook mid 2014 slow startup

After the recent Yosomite update, 10.10.3 my MacBook takes about 2 minuets to start up from the initial startup sound to the login page, which then takes about 30 seconds to log in my account.

I have only had my MacBook a few months and it didn't used to do this, it used to be very quick.

I'm not sure if it isn't related to programs i have installed (x11, Parrallels with windows and linux vm's)

I was at one point down to 10gb free on my 250gb ssd i'm now up to 60gb.

it was also about the time of Microsoft office 2011 update : 14.4.9

does anybody have any ideas as to why my MacBook has started to go slow?

Mac Book Pro Retina 15' Mid 2014 i7

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0138.B14 S

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 3:17 AM

Your MBP is under warranty. Make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar and have the technicians fix the MBP. Make certain that your data is backed up.

Ciao.

4 replies

Apr 20, 2015 4:58 AM in response to michael.mcp

Try freeing up some space on your machine. I recently purchased a new MBP and after searching for a while I came across an app with thousands of reviews called 'Disk Doctor' - it's only around £2 and it removes junk files from your Mac (shows you before you delete). It's amazing how much junk can clog up your system!

If not, take OGELTHORPE's advice and head to the Apple Store, that warranty will come in handy!

May 24, 2015 8:58 AM in response to dominic23

Reseting the PRAM worked for me, i also repaired permissions, this took about 10 minuets

Open the disk utility, verify & repair disk permissions, repair the disk.

Restart the mac, hold down Option-Command-P-R to reset the PRAM.

trip to the apple store was not needed, and my nearest apple store is miles away....

still not sure what caused it, programs, updates or just length of use.

MacBook mid 2014 slow startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.