Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade my Graphics card?

Hello to all!

I have this with me: iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) with this Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB. After upgrading to the latest version of FCPX [10.2] I am informed that my Graphics does not support the 3D Titles that have been introduced.

I'd like to know whether my Mac's graphic card can be upgraded. Also would like to know the experiences of any one who has done or attempted this upgrade of the Graphics.

FYI, apart from becoming a bit slower after the upgrade, I am able to do productive work with FCPX on my 'ageing' Mac and would not mind continuing with it if upgrading to a better graphics card would bring with it other issues!

Dr. Somanna

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), garage band, FCPX:10.2, iPhone 5,

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 2:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 4:44 AM

While it can certainly be done, the best way to sum it up is not to do it.

Most iMac users will never perform an upgrade such as this for 2 reasons:

1: The mere process of scouring the web for a specially flashed (and UEFI compatible) Mobile MXM A/B sized card Graphics Card suitable for installation, (just by taking a couple of quick glances on auction sites such as eBay, i can't seem to find a card that would be suitable for you iMac).

2: The cost, even if you do find a GPU that is compatible with your system, the cost will most likely outweigh the performance you will gain from this new GPU.

Personally I will be saving my money for a more powerful iMac/computer with more GPU horsepower rather than go through the above process for little gain.

But if you can do without those specific features of FCPX (of which I have no experience of) then your iMac is still quite capable!

Just my 2 cents

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2015 4:44 AM in response to somanna

While it can certainly be done, the best way to sum it up is not to do it.

Most iMac users will never perform an upgrade such as this for 2 reasons:

1: The mere process of scouring the web for a specially flashed (and UEFI compatible) Mobile MXM A/B sized card Graphics Card suitable for installation, (just by taking a couple of quick glances on auction sites such as eBay, i can't seem to find a card that would be suitable for you iMac).

2: The cost, even if you do find a GPU that is compatible with your system, the cost will most likely outweigh the performance you will gain from this new GPU.

Personally I will be saving my money for a more powerful iMac/computer with more GPU horsepower rather than go through the above process for little gain.

But if you can do without those specific features of FCPX (of which I have no experience of) then your iMac is still quite capable!

Just my 2 cents

Apr 20, 2015 8:22 AM in response to somanna

Here is the step-by-step illustrated procedure:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2428+GPU+Card+Replacement/ 5980

You can see it is not for the faint-heearted and also view the proprietary card design. Reports here suggest Apple will only replace a defective card in kind, not upgrade it, and the only cards as parts would come from used, dismantled computers, not from Apple.

Can I upgrade my Graphics card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.