Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Script to trawl Photos library for file descriptions

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice about the new Photos app. I'm completely new to scripting, but believe what I want should be possible.

First, a few words of explanation...

I had a messed-up Aperture Library and I didn't want to risk transferring that whole mess to the new Photos app. Consequently, over the last few weeks I manually uploaded all my photos to iCloud using the iCloud.com web interface.

When I opened the new photos app for the first time, all my pictures downloaded, just as I expected.

However, when I use the Get Info menu option, my photos have no descriptions. If I export the picture as an Unmodified Original, however, and use Finder's Get Info button, I can see my old descriptions from Aperture.

So... I had the idea that I might be able to use a script to trawl through the entire Photos Library package and write a text file (or similar - a Numbers spreadsheet, perhaps?) list file names and corresponding descriptions. I could then use this, laboriously, to copy/paste the descriptions back into Photos.

Does this sound do-able? And if so, could anyone point me in the right direction? Any help would be much appreciated...

Cheers,

Steve.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 1:58 AM

There are no replies.

Script to trawl Photos library for file descriptions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.