Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It says I need a new version, but I'm on the 3.5.2

I can't open old documents in Numbers. When I try this comes up:

User uploaded file

But I'm on the latest version (3.5.2), or at least, there is no option in the App Store to update. What can I do?

Numbers 3.5.2-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 2:24 AM

13 replies

Apr 20, 2015 1:31 PM in response to Sabrina from England

One possibility then is that your document may somehow have been corrupted. Any chance of restoring from a Time Machine backup?

If it's stored in iCloud, you could also try opening it at iCloud.com and downloading a copy from the "Tool" icon.

If you do happen to use Time Machine and did save it in iCloud but can't find a current version there, then you can try navigating to the locally stored copy (in Finder hold down the option key and in the menu Go > Library > Mobile Documents > Numbers), entering Time Machine and "restoring" a previous version.

SG

Apr 20, 2015 1:56 PM in response to Sabrina from England

Time Machine generally backs up everything in your user account, whether local copies of iCloud documents or other documents you may have locally.

If you have another copy of the document on your USB stick you might want to give that copy a try.

Another possibility worth a try: Make a copy of the document that you can't open as a backup. Then in Finder try changing the .numbers extension to something else and then back to .numbers again.

And also this might help: in Launchpad hold down the option key until the icons shake and click the x by the Numbers version with the four columns to uninstall it. Then download Numbers again from the Mac App Store.

SG

Apr 20, 2015 2:17 PM in response to SGIII

I've tried the .numbers file extension thing and it didn't help. I even tried opening the document in Numbers '09 and that came up with another error message. Maybe the files were just corrupted (though when that's happened before I've had a different error message again).

If I uninstall Numbers, will I have to pay to reinstall it?

Thank you for helping me. 🙂

Sabrina

It says I need a new version, but I'm on the 3.5.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.