Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook cannot connect to VPN manually

Hey everyone I'm having trouble connecting my Macbook pro to my VPN using the Mac os preferences menu. I am using an HMA Pro vpn account which works fine when I use the HMA third party application. However when I try to connect manually (in the OS X system preferences) it immediately gives an error message saying: "The PPTP-VPN server did not respond. Please contact your administrator or when the problem continues verify your settings." I have checked that my account info and settings are correct.

Does anyone have an idea to solve this? I am trying to connect to vpn manually so that I can share the vpn connection to my Playstation 4.

(Is it possible that this service is blocked by my ISP or that my DNS settings are not correct? I'm currently on an network that has some restrictions)

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 6:21 AM

1 reply

Apr 21, 2015 6:19 AM in response to chrisfrommiddlesbrough

1. Network Selection – Enter the Menu in your Mac OS X and choose ‘System Preferences’. This tool can also be selected from the ‘dock’ option provided in the Mac OS X. Once the system preferences window opens, select the ‘Network’ option given under ‘Internet & Network’.

2. New Connection – Once the window for ‘Network’ configuration opens, click on the tab titled ‘+’. This will start the proceedings for setting up a new connection for your best VPN Mac.

3. VPN Information – Once the new setup process starts, select the menu titled ‘Interface’ and select the detail titled ‘VPN’. Then, make the choice for your desired VPN protocol; by default, it is set to using L2TP IPSec. Now select the option titled ‘VPN (L2TP)’ and enter the name of your best VPN Mac provider when prompted. Finally, click the ‘Create’ button.

4. Configuring the New Connection – The next window that opens will ask you to provide some details of your Mac VPN. Here, you will need to provide the address of the server of your best Mac VPN that you wish to connect to. Similarly, enter your VPN account username in the field titled ‘Account Name’.

5. Authentication Settings – After configuring the new connection, the next step in setting up your Mac VPN is to configure the authentication settings by clicking on the ‘Authentication Settings’ button. Once inside, select the option titled ‘password, and provide your password to the VPN account. Next step is to enter the ‘pre shared IPSec Key’ allotted to you by your best VPN Mac provider: Click ‘OK’ once done.

6. Advanced Settings – Now click the button titled ‘Advanced’. Once it is opened, click on the tab titled ‘options’ and put a tick mark on the option titled ‘send all traffic over VPN connection’. In this tab, there is also an option titled ‘Use Verbose Logging’. The purpose of verbose logging is to record an increased amount of details about your VPN session for troubleshooting purposes later on. As ‘verbose logging’ is usually considered to hamper internet speed, it is up to the user to put a tick mark on this option or not.

7. Apply Settings – At the bottom right hand corner of the window, there is a button titled ‘Apply’. Please click on it to apply the best VPN Mac settings you have just entered.

8. Connect to VPN – This is the moment of truth. Take a deep breath and click on the connect button. Congratulations! You have successfully configured your best VPN for Mac. Now, you can enjoy a safe, secure, and anonymous internet with accessibility to all websites and safe P2P file-sharing!

Source: http://www.bestvpnservice.com/blog/how-to-setup-vpn-on-mac-osx/

Macbook cannot connect to VPN manually

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.