Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get iPhoto back? I hate photos with a passion it is ridiculously slow when transferring my photo's to my library and I don't want it.

I need to get my iPhoto back because I do not like the new photo that Apple have pushed at all. How can I get back to iPhoto?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 5:39 AM

You need iPhoto 9.6.1. Last time I looked in my Purchases in App store it was gone. I was able to copy from my other mac running 10.10.2. The other thing is to go back to 10.10.2 and you could use iPhoto 9.5.1 if you have a TM backup or go back to Mavericks if you can.

20 replies

Apr 20, 2015 5:58 AM in response to tbirdvet

If you have iPhoto v9.6.1 then just launch it. Done.

IF you don't, download it:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Apr 23, 2015 2:27 PM in response to MKowlz33

I agree, I hate photo and loved iPhoto, why did they have to go and mess with it. You can run iPhoto, but if you have converted your library, you have to either create a new one, or just open your converted library and you can't add or edit what is there.

Please apple, leave a good program, or give us the choice, not just force photo onto us. You took a perfectly good application we loved and dumbed it down to the point it just *****. Plain and simple, compared to iPhoto, Photo just *****.

Apr 23, 2015 2:58 PM in response to rcb0313

Wrong - nothing changed in the iPhoto library - as the ANSWER says simply launch iPhoto 9.6.1 and you have everything exactly like you did before OS X 10.10.3 was installed

Nothing has been forced on any one and nothing has been modified or taken away form anyone

- maybe if you send time learning things rather than posting profanities about things you are wrong on you would have a better life

Have a nice day

LN

PS Apple is NOT here only other users who understand how iPhoto works and are wiling to help others use it correctly

Apr 26, 2015 4:54 PM in response to LarryHN

Wrong. My iphoto is gone. They refuse to let me re-download it. I can't buy it anywhere. My computer tells me to my face that it is Gone! And, I hate the new 'photo' so so so much. It is pure evil. It deletes photo from my trash without my permission after a set time period. I have to push two buttons to delete anything doubling my work time deleting 900 photos every day.

Apr 26, 2015 10:35 PM in response to Raychel Potter

Not wrong. Read the answer marked 'Solved'. BTW, Photos does not "delete photos from your trash with out permission". It explains exactly what it's going to do, and putting the files in the trash means that's what you want it to do. If you don't, then don't put the files in the trash. How hard is that? And having to push two buttons? Oh no. How terrible.

Aug 9, 2015 5:14 PM in response to JIM THE IRISH ARTIST

Wow then you have a problem that you need to fix - posting insane RANTS will do nothing to resolve the problems you have - if you want help start a new thread and post your specific details in a calm, clear post with no opinions or editorials, just facts and there is a very strong probability that someone will help you solve it

Crazy RANTs like yours accomplish nothing except confuse real users who want actual help

LN

Nov 4, 2015 3:44 PM in response to tbirdvet

When I try to run iPhoto, it says it needs to be updated. (I was running 10.6.8 because I had an old MYOB that needed it.)

I click on the "Search App Store" and it comes back with an error saying "The item you have requested is not on the Australian Store"

Great... So I can't use my old iPhotos which worked just perfectly... I can't update it because Apple don't have it on the Australian Store... And Photos is abominably slow on my MacBook Pro 15 which ran iPhotos wonderfully.

Seriously, can we resurrect Steve Jobs so he can fire the clowns that are playing with software they know nothing about! The quality of Apple's software has gone down the tubes since Steve passed away. Don't get me started on how crap Music is on my iPhone!!

How do I get iPhoto back? I hate photos with a passion it is ridiculously slow when transferring my photo's to my library and I don't want it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.