Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerBook g4

help

i have a powerbook g4 and the hard drive crashed so can i change the hardrive to an intel based hardrive

because its motorola based

please help

Powerbook g4-OTHER

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 4:06 AM

5 replies

Apr 20, 2015 4:17 AM in response to Lanni9534

There is no such thing as an Intel based hard drive: the issue will be physical properties of the drive, not whether the Mac is Intel or G4.

This page has detailed instructions for replacing the hard drive:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBook+G4+Aluminum+15-Inch+1-1.5+GHz+Hard+Drive+ Replacement/227

As you will see it's a pretty tricky operation (and read the comments, which disagree on some points). There is also a video here:

MAC G4 PowerBook Hard Drive removal instructional video ...

This instruction document comes from a manufacturer of suitable drives:

Internal Hard Drive Upgrade for PowerBook G4 Installation ...

I have not attempted any of this so all this is for information, not a recommendation you should do it. Proceed at your own discretion... or you may be able to find a repair show which can do it.

You might want to consider that there is a limit to how much money it's worth throwing at a computer that old (particularly considering that what you can do with it is quite limited), and whether you might do better to consider getting a new one.

PowerBook g4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.