Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring from Apple laptop to new iPad Air?

So I have a 7 year old Mac OS X version 10.5.8 laptop that I have some movies on that I want to transfer to my daughters new iPad Air that was purchased during Christmas last year. I plugged the iPad into my laptop for the first time and it said to type in the passcode first on my iPad, which I did, and then it gave me an error and now the iPad does not get recognized when I plug it back into my laptop. I've rebooted a number of times, on both devices, and it still does not work.

What are my options?

Thank you very much.

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 7:52 AM

8 replies

Apr 23, 2015 8:01 AM in response to evolution video

Greetings evolution video,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that when you connect the iPad to your Mac, iTunes is not recognizing that it is connected. You have already done some great troubleshooting by restarting both the computer and the iPad. To continue troubleshooting, I would suggest working through the steps located in the attached article that you have not yet completed.

If you don't see your connected device in iTunes for Mac - Apple Support

Cheers,

Joe

Apr 23, 2015 10:35 AM in response to AppleJoe

Thank you Joe but for some odd reason where it says "Make sure that your Mac supports your device, see the system requirements for iPhone, iPad or iPod" none of those links work??? The other ones do on the page but these don't seem to link to anything.

Do you think, since my laptop is from 2008, that it's out of date with my new iPad? That's what I'm thinking.

Thanks

Apr 23, 2015 12:42 PM in response to evolution video

Hey evolution video,

Thank you for responding with that information. I didn’t realize those links did not pull up information. I am not sure if you have an iPad Air or an iPad Air 2, but both tech specs pages are attached below.

iPad Air - Technical Specifications

iPad Air 2 - Technical Specification

The information you will be looking for is listed under System Requirements in the articles. Both articles; however, state that in order to sync with your Mac, you will need Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard or later.

Your Mac may be able to run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. Please use the next attached link to look at the System Requirements for Snow Leopard. If you would like to and are capable of upgrading your operating system, you can place the order directly from the link as well.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

System Requirements

Mac

• Mac computer with an Intel processor
  • 5 GB free hard drive space
  • 1 GB RAM
  • DVD drive for installation

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Have a great day,

Joe

Apr 27, 2015 1:30 PM in response to AppleJoe

Hi Joe.

So I updated my older laptop to Snow Leopard and it now does recognize my daughters iPad Air BUT when I click and drag the movie from my laptop over to her iPad, a notice on her iPad says "iTunes Sync, 1 item could not be synced. See iTunes for more information". When I go to iTunes on her iPad and go to the area where her other movies are, this particular movie I'm trying to copy over is all grayed out and when I click on it, it shows the name of the movie, details, etc. but it does not get transferred over. I'm not sure what else to do??? Her iPad has enough storage space to add the movie so that's not the issue.

Her iPad is running ISO 8.3, which is the latest and now my laptop is running OS X 10.6.8.

Please help.

Thanks Joe.

Transferring from Apple laptop to new iPad Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.