Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backlight Bleed on 5k iMac - Worth repairing?

Hi all,

I’ve noticed whenever I’m on a black screen or watching a letterboxed film that my 27” Retina iMac has some backlight bleed at the top/right of screen. I’ve included a couple of photos below - one taken with the screen at full brightness and the other at about half brightness. I’ve had a look online and it seems I’m not the only one with this problem as many others have come across the very same issue (to varying degrees) on their machines. From what I can gather it seems that most, if not all, Retina iMacs have some amount of backlight bleed as it’s symptomatic of LCD technology. Regardless, it’s very distracting whenever you’re watching a wider than 16:9 film or playing any games that have a lot of dark scenes. Heck, you’re even drawn to it when the machine is booting up and it’s just downright annoying to see such a beautiful 5K screen tarnished by this ugly anomaly. Considering I’ve payed top dollar for a full spec unit it’s very disappointing to say the least.

I spoke to the reseller that I bought mine from and they said their service department is happy to order in a new screen and swap it out. This is something that I’m considering doing but I thought I’d first get some opinions on the matter here. Do you think the bleed is so bad that it warrants a changeover? To those of you with 5k iMacs how bad is the backlight bleed on your machine? I’m a little hesitant about going through with it as I’ll probably end up with a replacement screen with worse bleed than what I originally had! The reseller said that Apple quality control is very good and that I’d receive a perfect screen but unfortunately I’m *very* dubious of this claim.

Also is there any chance that when the repair agent puts the machine back together after doing the job that it could end up getting dust, and who knows what else, trapped between the screen and the front glass? If this were to happen it could end up looking worse than the original bleed issue! I suppose that opening up an otherwise perfectly good iMac to the elements can't ever be a good thing... has anyone here had any bad experiences with sloppy repair jobs?

Look forward to hearing back with any opinions on what I should do.

Thanks in advance!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 4 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM DDR3, AMD R9 M295X

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 4:10 AM

9 replies

Apr 20, 2015 6:16 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your reply.

I contacted Apple about the issue but since I bought the iMac from a reseller and not an Apple Store they are unable to help me. They said that I have to go through the reseller and all the reseller can offer me is a replacement screen. I'm a little hesitant about them ripping my brand new machine apart to put in a new screen.

Still not sure what I'll do... 😕

Apr 20, 2015 8:08 AM in response to trench2

Australia has many Apple Stores, however I realize you may not have one in your general area. Apple also has an excellent service there, you have many options open to you. The first thing I would recommend is a 2nd opinion on your machine, use the Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) locator to find another AASP in your area. After getting a second opinion then re-assess your options and if necessary re-contact Apple! Use the link below to find another AASP.

https://locate.apple.com/country

Apr 20, 2015 8:35 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks again for your response.

As I said I contacted Apple and filed a case but unfortunately they were unable to help. Even if I did bring it into an Apple Genius bar they would not be able to file it for a repair as it falls on the reseller to fix this screen issue for me. I've gone back and forth with Apple on this but that's just how it is. If I'd bought my machine from an Apple Store or if I had Applecare I might even be able to get an onsite repairman to fix my screen. Applecare is something that I've been meaning to buy and since my machine is only a few months old I may do that soon and then get Apple to reopen the case.

As far as backlight bleed on 5k iMacs goes how is everyone else's screen looking?

Apr 21, 2015 3:23 AM in response to trench2

Actually let me clear up a mistake I've made...

What I meant to say was that Apple were unable to *replace* the screen at this late juncture in time but *they can* in fact repair it. What I meant to say was that I asked Apple if a replacement would be possible but they said that the reseller would need to be contacted as they had final word on this. In the end the reseller declined and said that a repair was the only option. Sorry for the mixup there.

Anyway, I think I'll go with Apple rather than my reseller to get the replacement done. One can only assume that the Genius bar service centre is top notch when it comes to repairs? Would be interested to know if anybody here on the forums has had their iMac screens replaced by Apple due to backlight bleed (or even a different issue) and how it ended up working out for them?

Thanks.

Backlight Bleed on 5k iMac - Worth repairing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.