Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change the default number for a contact when using Siri

My husband has one mobile for work, one for home, both are in my favorites. When i'd ask Siri to dial his number, it would always ask me which one to use. Recently when calling him Siri asked if I would like to use his work number as the default and I mistakenly agreed. Now Siri never asks which number to dial and always dials the work number. How can I change that? I would like to make the default the home number.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 6:58 AM

14 replies

Apr 21, 2015 12:36 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I've been using Siri for a few years now, and this was the first time it asked me that question. Granted most people I call are in my favorites list with only one number, and my husband is the only one with two numbers in my favorites list.

I tried asking Siri to change the default, and it did a web search on adding contacts to favorites rather than complying with the request. I'll try again and rephrase my request and hopefully I'll come across a syntax that will work.

Apr 25, 2015 2:18 PM in response to hebatallag

Thanks all for your responses.

I tried to "order" Siri to change my husband's default number and whatever syntax I used for my request Siri responded with a web search on how to set favorites.

So I ended up deleting the work number from my husband's contact information and I used Siri to call him a couple of times. After 24 hours (random time frame) I added his work mobile back to his contact information, but not in the favorites.

SIri now dials his home number because it's the only one in the favorites.

I'll add it to the favorites in due course.

Apr 30, 2015 7:33 AM in response to hebatallag

Good afternoon all.

I had the same problem with one contact with two phone numbers ("mobile" and "work").

By mistake I agreed to set as default "work" phone number.

I changed from "work" into "other" and when I used Siri she hanged since she could no longer find "work".

I finally set again from "other" to "work" and now Siri offers again the choise to call the two numbers as expected and the wrong default has been deleted.

I hope this helps.

Apr 30, 2015 9:04 AM in response to Bizio61

Hopefully someone from Apple monitors these discussions and tweaks Siri's software to accept the command "make number the default for contact". I mean if Siri's software recognizes that several times in a row I had been calling my husband on his work number and asks if I want to make it the default, then the software can be tweaked to accept changes to the default.

How can I change the default number for a contact when using Siri

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.