Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! I just did the new OS update and all my photos & albums from iphoto are GONE!

I just did the new OS updated last night. When I opened Photos this morning, there was nothing. NOTHING! Not, photos in weird order or unlabeled. There were no photos period. Where did they go? What can I do? This is my work! I cannot have a decades worth of photos completely lost. Can I do something with timemachine to get them back. HELP!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 7:22 AM

2 replies

Apr 20, 2015 7:38 AM in response to antjek

This looks like Photos opened a new, empty library, because it could not access your iPhoto Library or Aperture Library.

Where are you storing your iPhoto Library? In the default location in the Pictures folder or on an external drive?

For Photos to be able to open your iPhoto Library, the library needs to be on a drive formatted MacOS Extended, and directly connected. It will not be able to open the library on a NAS or any network volume.

Apr 20, 2015 7:41 AM in response to léonie

I found the "old" iphoto app still on my computer and it seems to still have everything in there. (I totally freaked out though. So glad I "found" them.) The iphoto photos are saved on the computer in the iPhoto library--accessed under "media" when I use them for Keynote, etc. I'm still not sure why they aren't showing up at all in the "Photo" app. Is there a way I can get them to synch. Right now, it's not even registering the photos I have on the cloud either, even though I've double checked my log-on, etc.

Help! I just did the new OS update and all my photos & albums from iphoto are GONE!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.