Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote 6. Zooming out in Navigator View pointless because grey surround won't shrink?

Keynote Navigator View allows zooming out.

In Keynote 5 this was useful to make more space for Presenter Notes on screen. But zooming out is pointless in Keynote 6 because there is a grey surround which will not shrink. When the slide itself shrinks, more area of screen is given over to grey surround! This is quite simply bad design, unless I am missing some way to solve it. Any suggestions?

Richard Dawkins

User uploaded file

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 7:46 AM

8 replies

Apr 20, 2015 9:27 AM in response to Richard Dawkins1

zooming out is pointless in Keynote 6 because there is a grey surround which will not shrink

The purpose of zooming out is to see objects placed out with the slide but still on the canvass, this is used to set up advanced effects.

In fact this feature was one of the most requested in the upgrade from Keynote 5.3.

If you set fit in window, the slide magnification will automatically be set to Zoom to fit the slide: view > zoom > fit in window

Apr 21, 2015 1:06 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thank you, Gary Scotland, but actually this doesn't help. "Fit in window" enlarges the slide to cover the grey, which still leaves inadequate space for Presenter Notes. What it SHOULD do is Shrink the Grey to fit the slide. Then, if you set the slide to, say 50%, the grey would shrink to fit it, and there'd be plenty of room for Presenter Notes.

Richard

Apr 21, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Again, thank you, but again I'm afraid it doesn't do it. I had already discovered the little arrow thing you mention. The problem is that although it works fine twhen you pull it DOWN to INCREASE the grey area, when you pull it UP it won't DECREASE the grey area higher than a limited point. Try it after setting the zoom to, say 50%.The picture shows the highest point the little arrow thing is allowed to go. All that grey area below the picture is wasted.

Richard

User uploaded file

Apr 21, 2015 8:53 AM in response to Gary Scotland

I'm sorry, you must be getting fed up with me, but I PROMISE you I did set the slide zoom to Fit to Window. Note that your illustration has the zoom set to 82%. Can I ask you to try setting it to 25% or 50% and THEN do Fit to Window. If it then works for you but not for me, I shall give up.

Many thanks and sorry to keep on.

Richard

Apr 21, 2015 9:04 AM in response to Richard Dawkins1

As long as I set slide zoom to fit in window the result is as you see from the screen grab.

The 82% values is the magnification that is achieved when Keynote scales the slide when fit in window is selected.

What is the exact Keynote version you are using? Keynote > about Keynote

What is the exact Mac OS X version you are using? Apple Menu > About this Mac

What type of Mac are you using; MacBook / iMac / Mac Pro?

Keynote 6. Zooming out in Navigator View pointless because grey surround won't shrink?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.