Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which cameras can stream into fc

I have been using a web cam, going thru quick time to get vids into fc. I want to buy a camera, use it directly with fc, record directly to the hd streaming into fc. Been doing some reading and there seems to be some confusion, does the cam need firewire? I read that usb cams won't do the trick? What cams do you suggest for under 500.00.

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 8:22 AM

7 replies

Apr 20, 2015 5:29 PM in response to upheaval

Currently you require a firewire connection and continuous timecode from the camera.

DV cameras mostly need a tape in the camera with it recording to produce the timecode.

This method should give the "live" thing happening plus you have a backup if something goes amiss.

USB requires add on equipment and it's not direct AFAIK.

Al

Apr 20, 2015 8:32 PM in response to Russ H

Russ, First I would like to ditch the logitech webcam, it gives me trouble. So I need to get something. It seems logical to me to use fc to receive the media from the start, maybe I'm wrong. It might be to much trouble. I shoot instructional vids for the web, so its all at my desk. I need something to monitor the video, if fc could record and monitor I would be saving a step. thats all.

Apr 21, 2015 9:42 AM in response to upheaval

for some reason you guys weren't as responsive as usual. Perhaps I showed my ignorance on the subject by my question. Your silence helped however, caused me to keep diggin. I found a Canon XH-A1S 3CCD HDV for about 800.00, that should hold me for some time, might as well do it right eh?

thx for your responses. smile.

scott

Apr 22, 2015 4:36 AM in response to upheaval

upheaval wrote:

for some reason you guys weren't as responsive as usual. ..

.. 'cause it is very unusual, to use FCPX as a 'recorder'.

And nowadays SDcard cameras allow to import the video 'in seconds'.

Meant helpful, not wise-guyish:

Are you sure, the device you've choosen offers a 'stream' (on whatever plug)?

When I used taped based cams, they a) didn't record without tape, or b) switched-off after 2-3minutes to spare the mechanics, esp the heads.

I shoot instructional vids for the web, so its all at my desk. I need something to monitor the video

I guess, even HDef/SDcard cams in the 200$ price-range offer a 'live' monitor signal.

which cameras can stream into fc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.