Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari - can't create new bookmarks

I've been trying to find a solution to this problem for the last few days, but without success.

I have plenty of bookmarks in Safari, but for the past while (I can't say exactly when this started - maybe a month ago?) I can't add new bookmarks. If I go to add, I can edit the info, click add, but nothing is actually added.

I've looked through other similar threads and tried steps listed there (i.e. unlocking file permissions and resetting them as outlined here Cannot delete or add bookmarks in Safari 8.0.3 on my iMac ) and I've also verified the permissions on ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist and it shows I have access to read and write.

Any help would be appreciated!

My specs:

OS X 10.10.3

Safari 8.0.5

iMac 5k

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 8:08 AM

16 replies

Apr 20, 2015 3:22 PM in response to chriskay

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Quit Safari.

Select

Go Go to Folder

from the Finder menu bar. Paste into the text box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window should open with a file named "Bookmarks.plist" selected. Move the selected file to the Desktop, leaving the folder open.

Relaunch Safari. It will open with the default set of bookmarks. Delete them all. Select

File Import from... (or Import Bookmarks...)

from the Safari menu bar. Import from the bookmarks file you moved to the Desktop. Arrange the bookmarks as you wish.

If Safari now performs normally, you can delete the old bookmarks file. Otherwise, quit Safari again and put back the file you moved, replacing the newer one with the same name. Close the Finder window and post your results.

Safari - can't create new bookmarks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.