Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install "Pro" application updates through command line?

We just updated 1 of our computer labs to Yosemite. All computers have FCP X, Compressor, and Motion. We got a volume license for the software, which means that we had to log into the apple store, redeem the serials, and install the programs from EACH computer.

The new application updates come out, but they require Yosemite 10.3. No problem. We send the sudo software update -ia;sudo reboot to all of our computers at the end of the day and they're updated. I resent the command thinking that all of the pro application updates would show up and would be installable from the command line as well, but NONE of the updates appear as available even though they appear in the app store. Am I to understand that we will have to log into nearly 100 computers across several buildings, log into each log, log into the app store, and apply the updates through the app store? Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong and that this is not the case. All of the previous updates for FCP 7, Motion, etc. were available through the command line and could be sent to all computers at once. Has Apple changed this, because if they have, this is a huge problem to anyone that has to manage macs across multiple media labs.

Thanks

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 7:09 AM

5 replies

Apr 20, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

> Can't you just copy the apps onto the machines without going through the App Store?

That's a potential solution, but I can see how this might cause some problems (permissions problems in our managed/restricted user accounts, for one).

Is there any way to find out if/why Apple has stopped making the pro application updates available through the softwareupdate command? I know that the app store is a front end/GUI version of the command, but it would be sheer **** to manage Macs if Apple moves everything in this direction (forcing the use of the App store, if this is the case). I manage hundreds of Macs in various labs. The softwareupdate command makes it really simple to update them. The App store, does not.

Thanks for the reply Tom.

May 12, 2015 6:55 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

> I don't see why you would have a permissions problem. The application has no serial number and makes no network check.

I work with managed iMacs in several computer labs, and as anyone that works in this type of environment can tell you, Parental Controls/permissions can be a nightmare to deal with. But I digress....

This is a work around to a problem that shouldn't even exist Tom. The point is that Apple's apparent decision (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) not to make these updates available through the command line (as they were in the Final Cut Studio days) takes no account of the difficulty this causes to those managing these applications across multiple media labs with hundreds of Macs in them. I tried your suggestion, btw, and copied the updated apps onto 1 of the computers to test. These are managed computers with restricted accounts (high school students) and FCP X and compressor would not work (permission errors pertaining to components of the apps kept coming up from the non-admin accounts). Tried it on a second computer, the same. Had to spend time hunting down the parental control errors and solutions to fix them and just decided it would be easier to go to each computer in the lab, log into the app store, and download the individual updates from each computer (exactly what the problem command line would avoid).

Does Apple really expect people managing computer labs to have to log into the app store on each individual computer to update them? This is ridiculous.

This is something that I could have done by sending a command out through remote desktop at the end of the day and be done with it.

Is there any way to provide feedback about this or to at least get confirmation that these updates are no longer available through the softwareupdate command? Really hoping that I'm wrong about this.

Thanks for the suggestion Tom.

Install "Pro" application updates through command line?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.