Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete duplicate photos after update?

After updating from iphoto to photos on my Macbook pro, i got thousands of duplicates. How can I delete them from the library without doing it one by one?

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 8:09 AM

8 replies

Apr 20, 2015 8:13 AM in response to Checho0211

Photos has no tools to remove duplicates automatically.

It might be easier, to do the migration of your library again.

Where are you seeing the duplicates? You have only duplicate photos in the library, if they are duplicated in the Moments and not in the albums. You may be seeing the same photo in several albums, without actually having duplicates in your library.

Apr 20, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Checho0211

Currently there are two apps that can search, help identify and assist in removing duplicate photos from a Photos library:

PowerPhotos - $129.95

Duplicate Annihilator for Photos - $7.95

PowerPhotos is from the developer who offers iPhoto Library Manager, the best and most versatile iPhoto utility offered. Those who purchase iPLM also receives a license for PowerPhotos or you can purchase a separate license for PowerPhotos alone. PowerPhotos will eventually include most of the features now found in iPLM, merge libraries, copy albums and moments between libraries while including keywords, titles, descriptions, locations, faces, etc.

You can use the Demo version of it to see how it works and accesses the images in the Photos library. It does a better job of displaying metadata the Photos does.

User uploaded file

How can I delete duplicate photos after update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.