Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBA mid-2012 Display Port Support

I have a Mid-2012 MBA 13", with the maximum configuration 8 gb + 512, running OS X 10.10.3. I see that this CPU will not support 4K resolution but it is supposed to support WQHD at 2560 x 1440 using a Display Port monitor. I have bought three different thunderbolt-Display Port adapters and all of them support 1080p (and audio) on two different (HP and ASUS) monitors but while the preference panel shows the resolution 2560x1440 (under "scaled") and tries to use it as "default" the whole screen gets packed into the left ~20% of the screen. I switched all of the options on the monitor, including DP 1.1 vs. 1.2, and "pixel for pixel" (which shows the 1080p in the center of the screen).

What makes this more frustrating is I plugged in my old 11" 2011 MBA, and with the same cables etc. it is perfect, gorgeous, flawless at 2560 x 1440.

I plugged into a Thunderbolt monitor at a store and of course it works perfectly. Does this MBA not support WQHD using a Display Port cable? I know it won't work with HDMI either, I get the same 1080p but no options.

I upgraded to the 2012 model because the 2011 ran out of hard drive space and had recurring battery issues. I have several work locations and I need a solution that works without investing in several $1,000 monitors.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 8gb + 512gb, 2.0 mhz

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2015 1:35 PM

So it gets weirder. I tried the work-around of holding the option key when selecting "scaled" with an external display, and of course it shows lots of additional resolutions. The native resolution 2560x1440 still shows a jumbled mess at the left side, but the next resolution says it is 2048x1152, so I tried it and VIOLÅ it seems to trick the monitor into showing its native full resolution. The OSD on the monitor now says it is operating at the full resolution, but the Mac continues to believe it is 2048x1152.

Apple, is this a BUG or a FEATURE?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2015 1:35 PM in response to danfromfalls church

So it gets weirder. I tried the work-around of holding the option key when selecting "scaled" with an external display, and of course it shows lots of additional resolutions. The native resolution 2560x1440 still shows a jumbled mess at the left side, but the next resolution says it is 2048x1152, so I tried it and VIOLÅ it seems to trick the monitor into showing its native full resolution. The OSD on the monitor now says it is operating at the full resolution, but the Mac continues to believe it is 2048x1152.

Apple, is this a BUG or a FEATURE?

MBA mid-2012 Display Port Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.