Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to disable photos

I don't want Photos opening when I inserts an SD card. How to prevent this?

I am a full grown person and figure I should be the one deciding what app/program opens when. Never used iPhoto and I have no intention of ever using Photo.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.1.x)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 9:11 AM

Insert the card and let Photos open and show you the import pane. Then uncheck the box at the top:

User uploaded file

You can also do this with Image Capture (in the Applications Folder)

40 replies

Sep 18, 2015 7:07 PM in response to kdrime

Is there no way to simply turn off Photos permanently for all devices?

Here's my (extremely frustrating) problem: I'm a photographer. I shoot on compact flash cards which I reformat on a regular. Every time I insert a reformatted card into the reader, Apple sees it as a new device... so even though I've unchecked "Open Photos for this device" countless times using the same card, PHOTOS STILL OPENS EVERY SINGLE TIME. I'm starting to think that Apple does these things just to drive people insane...

Nov 24, 2015 1:37 AM in response to konzy

Does this disable Photos altogether, or just keep it from launching when you insert a card. I'd like to uninstall Photos altogether. I only want image files I'm actually working on on this macbook. It only has 120GB disk. I get out of space crashes if I use my photo library on this machine. Wish there was a way to limit which image files it keeps locally without deleting them from all over.

I feel like this is deja vu all over again. When they made iTunes automatically suck everything into itself, I spent some insane number of hours -- days and days and days, feeding each one of my CD's into it, one at a time. I tried to put the library on an accessory drive because my ibook disk didn't have enough room. Then at some point it decided to render everything I had tediously ripped in CD by CD, hundreds of them, unreadable. Serious trauma. I feel the same kind of thing coming now. If I delete enough image files off this drive so that I can use it, will it delete those photos from all my other devices, too? What happens when I copy some back to work on them? At least this time I know to make multiple copies of everything and put them where Photos can't get at them. Scary. I am beginning to think I need to have a machine that doesn't ever get on the internet, just so it doesn't delete my images or download too many of them. Either way, I"m screwed.

Nov 24, 2015 3:45 AM in response to here it comes again

Remember you can have multiple Libraries, including one on an external and one on your internal too. So in your situation I would have a small current library on the internal and a larger archive on an external - then a back up on another external of course.

I'm not sure what problems you're referring to with iTunes, but I've had mine on externals for years with no issues. I would suspect that the problems you have are down to issues with disk formats or our old friend PBKAC

Note that neither of these apps do anything automatically, only what you tell them to do.

Nov 25, 2015 11:19 PM in response to DianeFromPA08

This how hace done it

Open Launchpad

Click on Other

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileClick on Terminal and open terminal screen will look like belowUser uploaded file User uploaded file

Click on Shell top left hand corner

Click on new command

"defaults write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES"

User uploaded file

Click on Shell top left hand corner whilst Terminal is still open

Click on use Setting as Default

Closed and restart your computer

how to disable photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.