Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"bird" Process Name in Activity Monitor using 85%+ of %CPU.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)

OS X 10.10.3

Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

I have noticed the last few days my MBP is running very hot lately, and the fan is on a lot of the time. I have restarted the computer several times, and only used 1 or 2 apps open at once, (like right now I jast have Safari and Messages open) and the fan is running full blast.. I have opened Activity Monitor and there is a Process Name called "bird" that is currently running at 85% of CPU. I have Quit this several times, only for it to pop back up after a few seconds or minutes.

Does anyone know what this is??? Or what it is for? I have never seen this running before, and it is clearly taking up alot of Processor speed. The ironic thing is that it isn't really slowing down anything, even when "bird" is running. But when I do Quit the Process, the fan slows down and eventually turns off.. and the computer cools down as well.

I have heard that it has something to do with iCloud trying to upload or do something.. But I don't have Pages or Numbers or any of the other things that iCloud uses open. I do use PAges and Numbers a lot, and save everything to iCloud. But have never had this problem since iCloud Drive came around.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 15-inch, Mid 2010

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 7:44 AM

6 replies

Apr 21, 2015 5:43 AM in response to ejs71

Please back up all data, then open the iCloud pane in System Preferences. If the box marked iCloud Drive is checked, uncheck it and confirm. Your iCloud documents should be preserved on Apple's servers.

Test to see whether there's an improvement, then re-check the box and test again. It may take a noticeable amount of time for your iCloud Drive documents to resynchronize.

Apr 21, 2015 5:47 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

AGAIN!!!!.. Thank you!!! I was hoping you would catch this... I was waiting to see your reply!!

This is not the first time you've helped me. I really appreciate you looking out.

If you have a quick second.... pertaining to iCloud... I have a few docs saved to icoud Drive in Preview, and Text Edit. I know how to access them from an iOS device (my iPhone 6), and I can see them, but they won't click.. it looks like they're greyed out. Is there a reason for this? Reply if you can, and if not, I can start a new thread.

Thanks again Linc.

-Erik

Sep 1, 2015 5:38 AM in response to ejs71

So the only solution is to stop using iCloud Drive?

I've clean installed OS X, and the bird process comes back and runs unabated (I'm talking weeks at a time).

To make matters worse, none of my user-created folders download and sync with iCloud Drive on the MBA that is having this problem.

So, after clean installs, it keeps happening. What to do now?

"bird" Process Name in Activity Monitor using 85%+ of %CPU.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.