Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Configuration to extend wireless network not possible with Mac Airport Utility 6.3.5

Hi,

I wanted to extend my wireless of my Airport Time Capsule with an Airport Express. In the instructions on internet (AirPort base stations: Setting up and configuring an extended wireless network (802.11n) - Apple Support), I am told to configure the Time Capsule to "Select the “Allow this network to be extended” checkbox".

However, in the Mac Airport Utility 6.3.5, I can't find this checkbox anywhere. This checkbox does exist in the Airport Utility for Windows 5.5.3, so I had to go back to my Windows XP laptop to configure this. How can I configure this on my Mac?

Thanks,

Lourens

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 8:29 AM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2015 9:44 AM in response to landriesse

In the instructions on internet (AirPort base stations: Setting up and configuring an extended wireless network (802.11n) - Apple Support), I am told to configure the Time Capsule to "Select the “Allow this network to be extended” checkbox".

Unfortunately, you are looking at a document that is more than 3 years old.....which Apple has not updated for use with AirPort Utility 6.3 versions.

All that you really need to know is that the "Allow this network to be extended setting" is already enabled by default in AirPort Utility 6.3 versions. But, you cannot set up the AirPort Express by trying to use the old information from Apple in the document above, since AirPort Utility 6.3 versions use a different type of setup.

If you still have the AirPort Express in its factory default settings, and you would like to know how to set it up on your Mac, post back, or refer to the setup instructions in the Setup Guide.

Apr 20, 2015 4:41 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob!

Well, what happened was that when trying to extend my wireless using my old Airport Express, the Mac Utility told me that the Time Capsule Base Station did not allow for extending the network. When I clicked to extend anyway, the Express didn't work. I then checked out the Base station with the Mac Utility, but I couldn't find anywhere a way to allow extending it, hence the need for me to use the Windows Utility to set this flag.

Are you saying that by making any setting change with the Mac Utility on the Time Capsule Base Station, it will always set the "Allow this network to be extended" to true?

Configuration to extend wireless network not possible with Mac Airport Utility 6.3.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.