Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What IR codes are sent when holding down the 'Menu' or 'Play/Pause' buttons?

I am an Apple TV user, and trying to create some macros for use on an URC MX-890 remote control.

I would like to create one macro with a step that automatically returns to the Apple TV home screen. In another macro I would like to send the Apple TV unit into standby mode.

If I were using the Apple TV remote, I would just hold down the Menu button for 3 seconds to return to the home screen. The URC macro does not allow for a 'press and hold' function.

My question is, does pushing the 'Menu' button on the Apple TV remote send one distinct IR code, and does holding it down for three seconds send a different IR code? Are their different codes sent to the Apple TV box when pressing the 'Play/Pause' button versus holding it for five seconds as well? If so, what are the associated IR codes being sent by the Apple TV remote?

Apple TV, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2017 10:28 AM

I am a professional AV Integrator and have been programming URC remotes since about 2002ish.

The press and hold function on the Apple remote is just a repeat of the [MENU] button. It does work if you press and hold on any URC MX series remote. BUT, if you are trying to automate a single press to take you back to the "HOME" screen, then you can program it onto your own custom button on the LCD screen (or any hard button for that matter). The way I do it for my clients is to create a [BACK ONE PAGE] button and a [HOME].

- You will essentially drag and drop the [MENU] command onto both buttons. If you are familiar with URC's CCP software, you know where to find the IR command library.

- The labels on the buttons you create will automatically label them "MENU". Go ahead and relabel them via the "properties" tab to whatever you want to call them.

- Then left-click your mouse on the [HOME] button you created. On the macro menu, you should see something like this: "IR(AUX.476.MENU)"

- Double left-click "IR(AUX.476.MENU)"

- "IR Setting" window will pop up

- uncheck the "repeat while button is pressed" box

- Change the repeat value to 10

- Click [OK]

Voila! You should now have a working [HOME] button.

if you have any questions email me at:

sean@phdav.com

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2017 10:28 AM in response to feanwt

I am a professional AV Integrator and have been programming URC remotes since about 2002ish.

The press and hold function on the Apple remote is just a repeat of the [MENU] button. It does work if you press and hold on any URC MX series remote. BUT, if you are trying to automate a single press to take you back to the "HOME" screen, then you can program it onto your own custom button on the LCD screen (or any hard button for that matter). The way I do it for my clients is to create a [BACK ONE PAGE] button and a [HOME].

- You will essentially drag and drop the [MENU] command onto both buttons. If you are familiar with URC's CCP software, you know where to find the IR command library.

- The labels on the buttons you create will automatically label them "MENU". Go ahead and relabel them via the "properties" tab to whatever you want to call them.

- Then left-click your mouse on the [HOME] button you created. On the macro menu, you should see something like this: "IR(AUX.476.MENU)"

- Double left-click "IR(AUX.476.MENU)"

- "IR Setting" window will pop up

- uncheck the "repeat while button is pressed" box

- Change the repeat value to 10

- Click [OK]

Voila! You should now have a working [HOME] button.

if you have any questions email me at:

sean@phdav.com

What IR codes are sent when holding down the 'Menu' or 'Play/Pause' buttons?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.