Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to lease a modem from my cable co. or should I buy my own. Currently paying $5.99 per month!

Am currently leasing a modem from my cable co or $5.99 per month. Should I buy my own?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 11:55 AM

Heck yes. That's the sort of question that answers itself. It won't take long to recover the $30 or so a cable modem costs.

You may need to supply the modem's MAC address to your ISP. Check with them, but before you do that try simply substituting your modem for theirs, first.

4 replies

Apr 20, 2015 1:03 PM in response to charsgardens

You may want to see if your cable company has an approved modem list. Comcast for example does: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-approved-cable-mod ems/

Also note that if your telephone service is through your internet provider you will need a modem that is compatible with that; and if you currently have a modem that is a combined modem and wi-fi router you will need to deal with that as well.

Do I need to lease a modem from my cable co. or should I buy my own. Currently paying $5.99 per month!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.