Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I shut down family sharing?

I need to shut down family sharing as my son is buying stuff on my credit card. The Ask to Buy doesn't kick in.

iPhone 5

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 9:47 AM

Hope this link helps

Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support

6 replies

Apr 20, 2015 2:26 PM in response to tindrafrommull

Under 13 causes you the problem you're experiencing. You have to keep them in a family group, though you do have the option to transfer them to another group.

I suggest making sure the Ask To Buy is switched on and that you safe guard your iphone / ipad etc. with a new password, otherwise you risk the settings being changed [again] and/or the child using your device to approve their own purchases.

Please see Family Sharing and Apple IDs for kids - Apple Support

Apr 21, 2015 10:28 AM in response to Japple68

Hi Japple68. Thank you for this. The Ask to Buy is switched on. Surely the child can't just override it and switch it off? He hasn't used my devices as he was staying with his Dad when it happened. It is absolutely ridiculous that I can't just close the Family Group down. My solution to the problem is to let him use his own account which I'll load up from iTunes gift cards. That way he can only spend what is on his account.

Apr 23, 2015 12:12 PM in response to tindrafrommull

It wasn't clear in your update what you meant by letting him use his own account. As was already mentioned, a child under 13 has to belong to a family share group. If you're in a share group there is no other way to pay for purchases than to use the main account holder's payment method. You might have meant that you'd be comfortable setting up another account that doesn't comply with the AppleID terms and conditions, but if you did that he wouldn't be able to access the things he'd already purchased. Contact Apple directly about the setting that doesn't appear to be working. Though have you tested the setting out by doing a purchase to rule out the chance you might have accidentally approved his purchase? If you weren't expecting to see the prompt, you might have just accepted it.

Apr 23, 2015 12:15 PM in response to Japple68

Thanks for this Japple68. I had thought I could just open an account for him in his own name, but I can now see that this isn't allowed. I'll need to contact apple to see why the prompt isn't working. I haven't accidentally approved purchases - there's been too many of them. I'll try to contact apple about this, but it's proving difficult to find details of who to contact. I would go into a store but there's not one near me (nearest is over 3 hrs away). Thanks for all your advice on this.

How do I shut down family sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.