Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Black Screen

I am using a 2006 Mac Pro at work. Lately I have been getting a "crash." I put that in quotations because it doesn't seem like the computer is actually crashing. I will be working, and then the screen will just go black. It sounds as though the computer is still running. Could this just be the GPU going bad?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 9:04 AM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2015 9:15 AM in response to The hatter

Specs are as follows:

Mac Pro 1,1

2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

20GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB

As it is the business's machine, I have not done any work on the hardware, and we do not have a dedicated IT with Mac knowledge. I also don't feel comfortable installing any third party software. We're in busy season right now, and my boss isn't keen on sending our workhorse away leaving me to do nothing for a week. I'm just trying to get an idea here.

Essentially I edit photos for a fashion designer, so these files are 300+MB files with multiple layers and adjustment layers. As the screen simply goes black, and won't turn back on unless I do a hard restart, I haven't seen any error messages.

Apr 20, 2015 10:04 AM in response to chrismcolvin

If your Mac is still running and only the screen has gone black, you can invoke this familiar dialog-box by holding the Control key while you press Eject.

User uploaded file

Any keys other than the following will cause the System Beep sound to be heard:

Return takes the default (Shut Down) and the Mac shuts down.

Esc is the same as clicking (Cancel).

S is the same as clicking (Sleep).

R is the same as clicking (Restart).

Your Graphic card is long overdue for an upgrade. The x1900 cards simply did not last this long, and has likely failed.

User Tip: Mac Pro silver tower (2006-2012) Replacement Graphics cards

Mac Pro Black Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.