Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't iTunes recognise my iPod Classic?

I have Yosemite - latest - and latest iTunes on my Macbook Pro. I have an iPod Classic as does my wife. Hers is giving no problem - we're set to manual sync and it does that fine. Mine however, in the past few months, simply displays the message 'Connected - Eject before disconnecting' then it goes straight to 'Ejecting - you may now disconnect'. I have tried all the recommended steps - reset, reconnect etc to no avail. I connect with the iPod in Disc Mode but although the computer recognises it and shows it on the desktop, iTunes shows nothing.

I am encouraged by the fact that my wife's works, but concerned that this same question seems to have arisen a lot in the Support Communities lately

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 9:50 AM

3 replies

Apr 23, 2015 9:19 AM in response to MikeSheffield

Hi MikeSheffield,

I know that can be frustrating when your iPod is not showing up in iTunes and especially if your wife’s does. I would check out the article and check it against what you have done already. I would also recommend trying a restore in a different user on your computer or even a different computer.

If you don't see your connected device in iTunes for Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203979

Take it easy,

-Norm G.

Apr 25, 2015 10:19 AM in response to MikeSheffield

Hi Mike,

I had a similar problem myself and managed to find a simple way around it. When iTunes has loaded your iPod Classic, go to the iPod summary screen and select 'music' from the menu bar on the left. Make sure that the 'sync music' box is ticked and now select the sync button.

iTunes should hopefully now sync your music. One way or another, this box managed to become unticked by itself for me. Don't have a clue how, but that's what was preventing any music being synced to my iPod Classic.

Hopefully the same procedure works for you!

Marc

Apr 28, 2015 3:26 AM in response to marcdavis94

Hi Marc, Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately the problem arises a step or two before I can apply them - you say 'when iTunes has loaded your iPod Classic...' Unfortunately, iTunes isn't loading my iPod and that's the problem. When I connect it, I get a masseage saying 'connected, eject before disconnecting' and from there it jumps straight to 'Ejecting - you may now disconnect'.

Why won't iTunes recognise my iPod Classic?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.