Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not locate my photos on external hard drive to get them into iphoto

I backed my laptop up on an external hard drive, then installed snow leopard and to get my laptop to run faster I did a fresh install of OS X. Once I got everything done i put my stuff back on laptop and everything looks good except my photos. I have no photos, I am trying to figure out if somehow they never made it to the external hard drive or if I just can't find them on there to get them back on my laptop. I am not that great with computers and I am sure my terminology isn't exact but I am trying my best to figure this out. Thanks for any help

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 10:51 AM

6 replies

Apr 20, 2015 1:21 PM in response to jsb46160

Of course there always is a change of error either software, hardware or human

Again no one but you knows what you have and no one here can see you or your computer so we can not tell specific details about your systems that only you know

and again

by default your photos were in the iphoto library in your pictures folder - once you have restored the iPhoto library to that location and reinstalled and updated iPhoto to the version you had previously then it will access them from that location

Have you looked for you pictures folder on the external drive? Is it there? Have you reinstalled iPhoto and updated to the version you previously had? What version of iPhoto do you have installed? What version of the OS?

LN

Apr 20, 2015 2:16 PM in response to LarryHN

I believe I had leopard and I was having issues getting errors of system not being supported. I contacted Apple and was advised I needed to upgrade to snow leopard. My laptop is from 2009 and I haven't done anything to it till now. The apple rep also stated I should do a fresh install when putting snow leopard on so my laptop would run faster. Apple rep told me to get a external hard drive to put my info on it so the fresh install would reset everything to like it was brand new. I had someone help me with getting everything on the EHD.. doing the right format and such and then once that was done I put in the CD for snow leopard and hit install. Which brings me to now, with everything but my pictures. I have the EHD plugged in... now what? What do I do? I have looked in the EHD in iphoto and it was all standard images *not my pictures but images of a check mark or an arrow again not actual pictures. I don't see a folder pictures and i looked for images and found nothing. I have Applications, Included Free Designs, Library, System, User Guides and Information and Users, those are my options and non of those have a "pictures"

I have iPhoto '09 version 8.1.2 & Mac OS X version 10.6.3

Apr 20, 2015 3:24 PM in response to jsb46160

For your photos look on the external drive in users ==> your user name ==> Pictures - your iPhoto library should be there - if it is drag it to the pictures folder on your main drive

In the application folder on your main hard drive is iPhoto installed? If not then once again you must install it from the original source and update it to the version you have prior to doing this new install

And what format is the external drive you are using?

LN

I can not locate my photos on external hard drive to get them into iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.