Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PROBLEM: restoring from Time Machine to new hard drive (prohibitory sign)

The basics:

Mac Pro Tower with 3 hard drives (1 TB -start up; 2 TB - data; 3 TB -time machine backups)

10.9.5 backed up weekly to internal 3 TB drive

Suddenly the computer on start up gave me the prohibitory sign. From what I can understand, this symbol at boot means the system has found a bootable installation of Mac OS X on the system, but there is something wrong with it. Either settings between the software and computer hardware are not in agreement, or there is a missing critical component to the OS X installation.

Thus, I tried to restore using Tme Machine. I used the last backup yet this failed upon bootup and gave the same prohibitory sign. I then used another Time Machine backup from a week before. No luck. Same prohibitory sign. I tried several Time Machine sources. No luck. Same prohibitory sign.

I thought perhaps that the Hard Drive may be bad. It was a Seagate and I hate Seagate but I digress. I took the drive out and placed a new WD 1 TB drive that had been formatted for a Mac into the slot. I booted the computer and tried to restore from Time Machine again. Same issue. The dreaded prohibitory sign.

I am at a loss here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance-

BTW- I did take a 3 TB drive and loaded 10.9.5 on it and it boots fine. Of course I cannot restore the data from Time Machine because it doesn't let you. I can drag all my files over though and reload the applications and all that nonsense but I prefer to just have the 1 TB drive be the start up disk and go from there.

Many thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 10:31 AM

9 replies

Apr 20, 2015 10:37 AM in response to Calculus_Entropy

Mac OS X- Gray screen or prohibitory sign appears during startup

Question (?) Mark, Blinking Folder, or Gray Screen at Startup

These are related but not identical issues. Their causes are outlined in Intel-based Mac- Startup sequence and error codes, symbols. Solutions may be found in:

A flashing question mark or globe appears when you start your Mac

Mac OS X- Gray screen appears during startup

In most cases the problems may be caused by one or more of these:

a. Problem with the computer's PRAM - See Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM.

b. Boot drive's directory has been corrupted - Repair with Disk Utility.

c. Critical system files are damaged or deleted - Reinstall OS X.

d. The disk drive is physically non-functional - Replace the hard drive.

Note that the information I have provided is what Apple recommends, If other users suggest different solutions than found here, then be sure what they recommend does not impact on your warranty, if any, or ability to get continuing Apple service.

Please don't start removing drives or changing cables unless you know what you are doing and have exhausted other non-invasive alternatives outlined here. If you perform any work yourself that is unapproved by Apple, then you will void any warranty you may have and lose all further Apple Support.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your Snow Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

The main difference if you are using Lion or Mountain Lion is that you must first boot from the Recovery HD. Simply boot from the Recovery HD to perform the above.

Reinstall Snow Leopard Without Erasing The drive

1. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your Snow Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

2. Reinstall Snow Leopard

If the drive is OK then quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed with reinstalling OS X. Note that the Snow Leopard installer will not erase your drive or disturb your files. After installing a fresh copy of OS X the installer will move your Home folder, third-party applications, support items, and network preferences into the newly installed system.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1.

Reinstalling Lion/Mountain Lion Without Erasing The Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Apr 20, 2015 11:27 AM in response to Calculus_Entropy

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Alternatively, see:

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Choose the version you have installed now:

OS X Yosemite- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mavericks- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mountain Lion- Reinstall OS X

OS X Lion- Reinstall Mac OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Apr 20, 2015 11:36 AM in response to Kappy

Perhaps this is a better question-

Can you take a new hard drive, install 10.9.5 on it. Reboot and assuming all is working, use Time Machine to reinstall all your applications, files, etc.

I thought that one can reinstall using Time Machine and then there is no need to play around. A few clicks and one should have a mirror of what was previously on the hard drive and it would work seamlessly. This does not appear to work.

Thanks in advance 🙂

Apr 21, 2015 10:21 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the info.

I have not determined what the issue was or is but decided to use a Time Machine back up from last month as I back up weekly so I could easily pick one. By doing this, I was able to avoid the dreaded prohibitory sign and the hard drive booted normally. I have surmised that some program upgrade caused an issue. I have to sort through which program it is. My issue is now that Time Machine wants to prepare a backup and "clean up" the old back ups. I stopped this from taking place as I do not want to lose the backups in place.

Hopefully I can solve the problem. Thanks for the help and perhaps this thread will help someone with the same issue . 😐

PROBLEM: restoring from Time Machine to new hard drive (prohibitory sign)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.