Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reorder legend entries?

I have a line chart in Numbers (3.5.2) showing several different data series. It can be seen at a glance that one series is generally higher than the others, one series is generally second-highest, and so on. However the columns storing the data are not in that order, and the columns must stay in their current order. In other words, I must not move the columns around.

I want to rearrange the legend entries so that the legend for the series that is visibly the highest, appears at the top of the legend. And the entry for the series whose graph is visibly the second-highest, appears second in the legend, etc. In general, I want to be able to specify the order of the entries in the legend, so I can put whichever entry I want at the top, and second, and so on down the line, so the legend entries are organized as I see fit. But I haven’t found a way to do that. Is it possible?

And for multi-series column charts (ie. clustered column charts) in particular, I want to be able to reverse the order of the legend entries when the legend is vertical. Currently, the entry for the leftmost series appears at the top of the legend, but I want it to appear at the bottom. Is there a way to reverse the order of legend entries?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2017 4:35 AM

I realise this is old, but in case anyone searching for an answer finds it, you can in fact re-order the legend. Just click on the actual line in the graph (you have to click twice: once to select the graph and a second time to select the line). Make sure you click on one of the data points. Once you've done it, you will see it looks similar to my screenshot below.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Select the "Format" menu, and then select the "Order" drop down menu (second picture, above). You can now reposition the currently highlighted line within the legend. Do this for every line until the legend looks how you want it to. Note, if the Value and Data boxes are blank, then click on "Style" and then "Series" again so that the name of the line you are changing shows in those boxes as shown above.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2017 4:35 AM in response to nevinfromlimerick

I realise this is old, but in case anyone searching for an answer finds it, you can in fact re-order the legend. Just click on the actual line in the graph (you have to click twice: once to select the graph and a second time to select the line). Make sure you click on one of the data points. Once you've done it, you will see it looks similar to my screenshot below.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Select the "Format" menu, and then select the "Order" drop down menu (second picture, above). You can now reposition the currently highlighted line within the legend. Do this for every line until the legend looks how you want it to. Note, if the Value and Data boxes are blank, then click on "Style" and then "Series" again so that the name of the line you are changing shows in those boxes as shown above.

Apr 21, 2015 2:24 AM in response to nevinfromlimerick

Hi Nevin,

I can't find a way to re-order a legend.

When all else fails, cheat 😉.

Use Screen Shots of each legend entry and move them into the order you want.

User uploaded file

Take a Screen shot of each legend entry and Menu > Insert > Choose...

Navigate to the desktop, select a Screen Shot and click on Choose. It will appear on the canvas.

Align the Screen Shots, select them all

User uploaded file

and Menu > Arrange > Group

Hide the default legend:

Click on the line chart and Format Panel > Chart > Chart Options > untick Legend.

Happy Numbering!

Regards,

Ian.

Apr 23, 2015 9:42 AM in response to nevinfromlimerick

You could add a table that figures out the max. and reorders itself like this:

User uploaded file

And this:

User uploaded file

Then you can hide the charts legend:

User uploaded file

In the large table ("Table 1-1") the top row contains the average

In the small table

A1=LARGE('Table 1-1'::$1:$1, ROW())

this means... select cell A1, then type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

=LARGE('Table 1-1'::$1:$1, ROW())

B1="◦"&OFFSET('Table 1-1'::$A$2,0, MATCH(A1,'Table 1-1'::$1:$1,0)−1)

now select cells A1 and B1, copy

select from Cell A1 to the B3 (or how ever many rows you need), paste

I hid column A

now select column and use conditional formatting to make the color match the series in the chart:

User uploaded file

How to reorder legend entries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.