Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Dead' Phone - now what? Hold a funeral?

'Phone is less than 2 months old. Picked it up to use and it's as dead as a door nail. What now? I can't read the serial number on either the 'phone or the packaging because it's printed too small to be read by such an elderly human as myself, therefore I can't access any assistance thanks to the delightful Apple so-called 'personalised' system! Basically a system put in place to ensure 'we' bother them as little as possible. The system is quite an effective deterrent and has caused me inconvenience in the past (teenage daughter's 'phone on that occasion...) Grrr! SOOO fed up!

iPhone 5c, iOS 8

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 3:30 PM

Charge for 30 minutes with the wall adapter. Then hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time until an Apple logo appears.

13 replies

Apr 20, 2015 3:30 PM in response to B_S_S

What troubleshooting have you tried? User troubleshooting steps are restart, reset, restore from backup, restore as new. Do you know if there is a change on the device? A reset is performed by holding the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. This can take up to 30 seconds. If that does not work, then plug the device in for a minimum of 30 minutes to ensure there is a charge on the device and attempt the reset again.

Apr 20, 2015 2:32 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you very much for your help Chris. I've not had an iPhone before and am not familiar with its foibles. It was charged to 100% before I left the house this morning and I haven't used it much as I've been at work. I'll try your suggestions. Is this sort of thing a regular occurrence? I didn't expect it from a 'phone that is barely 2 months old. Never had a problem with my poor old Samsung.

Thank you again.

'Dead' Phone - now what? Hold a funeral?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.