Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i improve my mac mini's audio

Ive been using a windows laptop for the last few years and decided to switch to a 2012 mac mini. I have installed windows for school on bootcamp and the audio through the headphone jack is fine - just like the laptop. But when I switchover to the mac again the sound is quite flat and doesn't sound as crisp as windows - is it something to do with the software on the mac? Ive heard something about DACs but don't know much about them... if I need to buy something keep it cheap I'm only 15! 😉

Its not a home cinema by any means; I have some sony MHC-EC99i's if this helps but they sound great when using a CD or iPod/iPhone - just wish the mac sounded the same!

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 12:06 PM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2015 9:13 AM in response to justinpease

I had a look into the software/driver possibility further and without really knowing what i am doing, brought up the activity monitor app in the mac. Something called 'coreaudiod' is in red and isn't responding, but when I quit this, it will stay ok for about 30 seconds to a minute and then not respond again. In the statistics it says that it has around 7000 faults and the 'recent hangs' keeps on going up if leave it. Could this be a part of the problem?

How can i improve my mac mini's audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.