Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the OS X Mavericks reach its end of life?

Should I update to Yosemite?

"OS X 10.9.x and older remain vulnerable, since Apple decided not to patch these versions."

https://truesecdev.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/hidden-backdoor-api-to-root-privileg es-in-apple-os-x/

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 1:19 PM

Since Apple decided to make Mavericks and Yosemite free upgrades, they also decided to make the upgrade permanent. You cannot downgrade to Mavericks because it is no longer available. This is exactly the same practice as how Apple handles iOS upgrades.

However, Apple does not immediately abandon a just previous edition. Usually they continue support for up to seven years after which support is terminated. But with OS X the only updates that may appear in the future will be security updates. So, as of today 10.9.5 will only receive essential security updates. There won't be a 10.9.6.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2015 1:19 PM in response to soyer_01

Since Apple decided to make Mavericks and Yosemite free upgrades, they also decided to make the upgrade permanent. You cannot downgrade to Mavericks because it is no longer available. This is exactly the same practice as how Apple handles iOS upgrades.

However, Apple does not immediately abandon a just previous edition. Usually they continue support for up to seven years after which support is terminated. But with OS X the only updates that may appear in the future will be security updates. So, as of today 10.9.5 will only receive essential security updates. There won't be a 10.9.6.

Aug 21, 2016 9:55 PM in response to abubasim66

If you go on Amazon and look for the boxed version of Aperture, you can install this on your Mac and Apple still has all of the various Aperture Updates still available on Apple's support section of their website.

I never bought the download version of Aperture.

I purchased the boxed version of Aperture 3 and went to the Apple support section of their website, did a search for Aperture updates and installed all of them to the various versions of OS X I have installed on my system.

The last update to Aperture, 3.6.1 will still work on OS X 10.11.6 El Capitán.

However, as you already may know, you can continue to use Aperture, but it is has been orphaned software since OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

So, no more updates or support from Apple.

Does the OS X Mavericks reach its end of life?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.