Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install new Time Capsule and disconnect old?

I have a new tower TC and want to install it and disconnect my old flat one. I do not need to migrate the backups. How do I install the new one and use it as a router? do I need a new name, new password??

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 12:13 PM

Are you still using OS X (10.6.8) as you indicate in your profile?

The reason that we ask is that the newer version of the Time Capsule requires a Mac running Lion (10.7.x) or higher.....or.....an iPhone or iPad to set things up, so you will need to meet that requirement for the new TC.

After you set up the newer TC, do you plan to keep the old TC on the network as well?

If yes, then you will need to assign a different device name to the new TC to avoid confusion with old TC, although you can use the same wireless network name and same passwords on the new TC that you used on the old TC.

If you plan to simply replace the old TC with the new TC and remove the old TC from the network, Apple does provide a set up option to transfer all the settings from your old TC to the new TC. When this occurs, the old TC will be reset back to factory default settings.

That brings up another question, though, and that would be whether you want to erase all the old backups on the old TC.....something that you likely want to do if you do not plan to hold onto the old TC.

So, depending on what you want to do with the old TC, that may dictate the simplest and easiest way to set up the new TC.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2015 12:13 PM in response to jenniefromlewes

Are you still using OS X (10.6.8) as you indicate in your profile?

The reason that we ask is that the newer version of the Time Capsule requires a Mac running Lion (10.7.x) or higher.....or.....an iPhone or iPad to set things up, so you will need to meet that requirement for the new TC.

After you set up the newer TC, do you plan to keep the old TC on the network as well?

If yes, then you will need to assign a different device name to the new TC to avoid confusion with old TC, although you can use the same wireless network name and same passwords on the new TC that you used on the old TC.

If you plan to simply replace the old TC with the new TC and remove the old TC from the network, Apple does provide a set up option to transfer all the settings from your old TC to the new TC. When this occurs, the old TC will be reset back to factory default settings.

That brings up another question, though, and that would be whether you want to erase all the old backups on the old TC.....something that you likely want to do if you do not plan to hold onto the old TC.

So, depending on what you want to do with the old TC, that may dictate the simplest and easiest way to set up the new TC.

How do I install new Time Capsule and disconnect old?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.