Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I add memory to my 2008 iMac MA877LL/A?

I have an iMac 20-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Part Number: MA877LL/A that I bought in early 2008. I tried to upgrade to Yosemite but it tells me I don't have sufficient memory. Does anyone know if I can upgrade the memory on this machine. It's running slow but I would like to avoid buying a new machine if possible.

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 2:14 PM

4 replies

Apr 20, 2015 2:21 PM in response to GG83

You actually have a Mid-2007 iMac, not 2008, based on your order number. Your memory information:

Maximum Memory6.0 GB (Actual) 4.0 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots2 - 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

Upgrading to Yosemite

You can upgrade to Yosemite from Lion or directly from Snow Leopard. Yosemite can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for FREE.

Upgrading to Yosemite

To upgrade to Yosemite you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download Yosemite from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Yosemite is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks/Yosemite- System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Yosemite

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Apr 20, 2015 4:31 PM in response to GG83

In addition please only purchase RAM from either Crucial (direct from Crucial) or OWC (www.macsales.com). iMacs do not do well with "value" RAM, both Crucial and OWC sell only high quality products that work. OWC even has an installation video to show you how to install the RAM. To use that click:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_mid_2007_mem/

Can I add memory to my 2008 iMac MA877LL/A?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.