Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch / iPhone / vehicle hands-free management?

How will our iPhones manage the juggling between an already paired Apple Watch and the hands free vehicle connection we use? Will it be handed off to the vehicle automatically or are we going to need to manually disconnect from the watch in order to use this feature? It appears that the iPhone can only manage one bluetooth device at a time, so, the both cannot be connected.

If this is the case and we lose this autonomous feature, it will be a huge inconvenience to a lot of us!

Any insight?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 3:39 PM

Bluetooth supports more than one connection at a time -- just not 2 of the same type (e.g., to 2 different headphones). See the quote below from Wireless input devices: Bluetooth frequently asked questions - Apple Support

and also see http://www.solveyourtech.com/can-two-bluetooth-devices-connected-iphone/

The official Bluetooth specifications state seven is the maximum number of Bluetooth devices that can be connected at once. However, three to four devices is a practical limit, depending on the types of devices and profiles are used. Some devices require more Bluetooth data, so they are more demanding than other devices. Data-intensive devices may reduce the total number of devices that can be active at the same time. If a Bluetooth device becomes slow to connect or does not perform reliably, reduce the total number of connected devices.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2015 3:39 PM in response to Squrt51LT

Bluetooth supports more than one connection at a time -- just not 2 of the same type (e.g., to 2 different headphones). See the quote below from Wireless input devices: Bluetooth frequently asked questions - Apple Support

and also see http://www.solveyourtech.com/can-two-bluetooth-devices-connected-iphone/

The official Bluetooth specifications state seven is the maximum number of Bluetooth devices that can be connected at once. However, three to four devices is a practical limit, depending on the types of devices and profiles are used. Some devices require more Bluetooth data, so they are more demanding than other devices. Data-intensive devices may reduce the total number of devices that can be active at the same time. If a Bluetooth device becomes slow to connect or does not perform reliably, reduce the total number of connected devices.

Apr 20, 2015 4:41 PM in response to FoxFifth

I Understand and appreciate your reply. Unfortunately, that wasn't what I was looking for. I would like to know what happens when I get into my vehicle, with hands free audio system, and I already have my Apple watch paired to my iPhone . Will I be automatically connected to the cars system, like I do now, or will I lose that automatic pairing I take for granted

Apple Watch / iPhone / vehicle hands-free management?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.