Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview suddenly won't open .pdf files but Adobe Rdr. will

I have suddenly developed a strange problem with Preview:

Recently downloaded .pdf files (from tech manual sites; several different sites), (files that were never opened in my browser but just downloaded by clicking a download button and having the file drop into "Downloads") will NOT open with Preview (my default viewer)

When I click on them I get a message that I can't open the file because is don't have "Permission". But if I check in "get Info", I DO have permission! Unlocking the permissions and resetting them to "read & write" for me (by log-in name), "staff" and "everyone," makes NO difference. Still get "No Permission" from Preview!!

Although Adobe Rdr. is not my default reader, if I open the same .pdf file with Adobe Rdr. it opens fine! No permission problem.

In at least one case, when I try to open (w. default Preview), I get the message that I can't open the file because my Preferences are set to not open "Apps" from "unknown publishers"!! And this for a .pdf file!! If I try to open that same file with Adobe Rdr. I get a caution warning that this "App" is from an unknown publisher and am I sure I want to go ahead?? If I click continue, then .pdf then opens in Adobe Rdr. just fine!

I find this combination of behaviors bizarre and baffling! Old .pdfs that I've had in my system SEEM to open OK, though obviously I haven't tried every one!!

Anyone have any suggestions as to what's going on or how I might fix this??

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 3:10 PM

4 replies

Apr 20, 2015 4:20 PM in response to CMCSK

Yes, I am very aware of Gatekeeper. But perhaps I didn't make it clear: these are .PDF files I'm talking about here. Re-reading the link you provided to Gatekeeper information does not suggest to me that it's active for DATA files. Am I wrong?

My problem was only OPENING a data file. Nothing was being installed or "run." Nevertheless, as I said, the text of the warning was to the effect that it was blocking an "App" from "running" because it was from an unidentified source ("developer" is I believe what it said).

I posted because I didn't think I could find anything describing my situation already posted, but since I posted, I did find someone else who was having this problem with Preview, and it cleared with a re-boot! So I tried that simple remedy and the problem seems to be gone....for now anyway.

My impression, reinforced by that other thread, is that this is some kind of QUIRK in Preview. Strangely, Adobe did also warm me about an unidentified source, but allowed me to open the .pdf data file if I accepted the warning.

Again, that situation only applied to one of several new .pdf files I downloaded to day. The rest just wouldn't open with Preview because I did "Not have Permission." The very same ones opened without comment with Adobe Rdr..

Preview suddenly won't open .pdf files but Adobe Rdr. will

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.