Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how long does it take to upgrade software on Imac early 2008?

I'm currently doing a software upgrade on my Imac early 2008... It seems to be taking forever! should i be worried? how long should it take?

It took about 30 minutes to download the software. now is taking well over 90 minutes to install so far-- and it's only halfway done

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), early 2008 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 1:42 PM

12 replies

Apr 20, 2015 2:55 PM in response to DJAgent

The latest version of OS X is Yosemite 10.10.3. A 2008 iMac originally came with 1 GB of RAM, adding 2GB only gives it 3GB total which really isn't enough for Yosemite. Your iMac can accommodate up to 6GB, which is what I would recommend for that old a machine.

Back to your original question though, by now the computer should have finished however let it run over night. If it still does not then you have other issues. I hope you backed up the computer prior to downloading. If you did, you will have only lost some time, if not the ramifications could be more scary.

Apr 20, 2015 3:07 PM in response to DJAgent

Additionally, the Yosemite installer is more than 5 GB, so it is a large file; unless you have a very fast internet connection, it can take some time (it takes me about 90+ minutes for such a download).

And, as mentioned, 4 GB of RAM is considered the minimum RAM needed for a reasonably happy user experience running Yosemite - more is much better.

Apr 20, 2015 3:08 PM in response to DJAgent

DJAgent wrote:

hi, it now has a total of 6 GB of Ram. I had 4gb, and added another 2 gb recently. Yes-- thankfully i have the computer backing up every few hours automatically onto an external harddrive. I now think that i did not have Yosemite and the update it's doing now (still going) is the actual Yosemite.

If it has not finished by tomorrow morning, restart the computer and see what happens. Please post back with the results.

Apr 20, 2015 4:21 PM in response to DJAgent

Well, the older the computer and its processor in addition to slower and less RAM, the computer cannot take advantage of the OS which is optimized to run on a fast processor with lots of RAM, so, don't open too many apps at once, clear out your cache, and keep plenty of empty space on your hard drive; all that will help, but the experience won't be as good as it would be on a new Mac with 12 or more GB RAM.

how long does it take to upgrade software on Imac early 2008?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.