Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding a playlist in iTunes

All of a sudden, I can't add a playlist in iTunes. When I go to New: Playlist, it is greyed out. I am using an iPhone 5s, and iOS 8.3

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 3:45 PM

5 replies

Apr 20, 2015 4:33 PM in response to pmh15120

OK, can you clarify a few things?

• Do you manually manage the transfer of music to your iPhone? (i.e. do you drag and drop songs and playlists to your iPhone?)
  • Or, do you auto-sync music? (i.e. no drag and drop, you sync specific things by putting check marks next to playlists, etc.?)
  • Did you turn on iTunes Match? (i.e. the paid cloud storage service for your iTunes library)

Apr 21, 2015 4:53 AM in response to rockmyplimsoul

To clarify: I used to manually manage the transfer of music to my iphone: I would go to: New -> Playlist. Then I would add the music there. With this new IOS, it seems I no longer am able to add a Playlist that way. As I said, when I go to: New -> All 4 options are greyed out. Why would Apple make this so **** complicated? I hate when they change things and you can't do them they way you've been doing for years.

Apr 21, 2015 4:37 PM in response to pmh15120

I don't manually manage my devices (never understood the benefit), so perhaps your workflow needs to change such that you create new playlists in your iTunes library itself, then drag and drop them to your iPhone manually.

That is actually better anyway, since if you're designing your playlists directly onto your iPhone, you can't recover them if your iPhone ever gets damaged, lost, stolen, or corrupted. By having your playlists designed and maintained in your library, you always have a copy to go back to.

adding a playlist in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.