Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac iMessage won't sync to iPhone after Airplane Mode

Hello all,

Please help! I turn my phone to airplane mode in meetings so that it does not buzz and bother people. Sometimes I will correspond with a colleague via the Messages app on my Mac during the meeting.

BUT when I turn my phone on just 30 minutes later whole conversations I had on the mac will NOT sync to iPhone. I try everything but I can never get the iPhone to sync to the history on the Mac app.

Further, sometimes if I have both the Mac and the iPhone on airplane mode, I will only know I receive an iMessage when it pushes to my Mac after reconnecting, NOT my iPhone. So now I am paranoid about going on Airplane mode because if I can't get to my Mac soon enough, then I may miss a ton of iMessages.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Or have an idea as to what is going on?

I have checked the settings and my phone number, and two email addresses (my persona and my iCloud one) all are checked on both the Mac and the iPhone.

My Mac is: MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9.5

My iPhone is: iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Thank you so much!!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 5:12 PM

1 reply

Sep 4, 2015 11:49 AM in response to GrantCert

Did you find a solution to this problem? I use flight mode on my iPhone quite often in order to reduce radiation, for example while I am sleeping. I use iMessage on three devices: iPhone, iPad and Mac. During a couple of years I have often experienced that certain iMessages are received on my Mac and on my iPad, but not on my iPhone. This is a serious problem which causes me not receiving certain messages when only using my iPhone, and these messages will never be synced to the iPhone, although they appear in the conversation on both my Mac and my iPad.

After reading your article, it becomes more clear to me that this problem has to do with Airplane Mode. Probably the reason is that when iPhone is in Airplane Mode the iMessage stops pushing to the iPhone after some time when having registered that the iMessage has been delivered to some device(s) (I do not know if the server knows about devices having received the iMessage). If all my devices where turned off, I guess the sending device would have sent the message as an ordinary sms, and then I would have received it (on all devices since I use the message forwarding).

This problem has lasted for years, and it has to be solved soon. I am especially eager to find out for how long iMessage continues pushing a message to a device which is in Airplane Mode. If anybody else has the same problem, please inform about it, or maybe somebody has a fix? I don't want to stop using Airplane Mode, but of course I don't want to miss important messages like "the meeting today has been cancelled".

Mac iMessage won't sync to iPhone after Airplane Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.