Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.3 bluetooth bug...ugh!!!

So, Apple has done it again with iOS 8.3. I am an aircraft pilot. EVERYTHING I do is on my iPad. I just recently updated to iOS 8.3. Well, I went to take a flight yesterday, and my bluetooth GPS antenna would not connect. (yes, I have paper charts...but it's no fun trying to fly that way.) After 3 reboots, several forget device/connect to device...I got nowhere. Well, I didn't fly that day. However I managed to waste a lot of time going out to the airport, preflighting the airplane, and driving back home that day. I know this sounds like "new world problems". But aren't apple products supposed to "just work"?

Well, I got back home last night and found warnings posted all over every aviation webpage/blog/forum about this bug. It has been confirmed by several companies techies and they have ALL stated that this is an Apple error. Apple has also confirmed this.

sources...

https://seattleavionics.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/ios-8-3-problem-with-bluetooth- gps-and-ads-b-receivers/

http://bad-elf.com/blogs/bad-elf/18013536-alert-compatibility-issue-with-apple-i os-8-3-and-external-gps-receivers

I am now looking for solutions.... Some have downgraded their iPads back to 8.2. I really don't want to have to do this. But many people have blogged that the iOS 8.4 Beta does not fix the issue either. Thanks Apple....

I have all Apple products, and have been an ALL Apple consumer for the past 10 years. But this is unacceptable. Oh , by the way, all the pilots with Android devices are still flying without issue. I never thought I would EVER say this... But if this issue is not fixed VERY soon, I will be shopping for a new android device. I do NOT relish this thought, but every day with the iOS 8.3 bluetooth bug, is a day that I CAN'T FLY WITH GPS!!!!

I am sure other venues besides aviation are affected by this.... Any other solutions or rumors from the community are greatly appreciated.

Frustrated pilot.

iPad Mini, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 4:28 PM

21 replies

Apr 20, 2015 6:41 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly_Phan wrote:

firemediclex wrote:

...this is an Apple error. Apple has also confirmed this.

Where was that confirmation?

By the way, my BT is working just fine with 8.3

Last sentence of the second paragraph of this link...

https://seattleavionics.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/ios-8-3-problem-with-bluetooth- gps-and-ads-b-receivers/

"Apple has noted that they’re aware of the problem and have put a high priority on fixing it but have not announced a specific timeframe."

Apr 21, 2015 12:50 AM in response to deggie

And I thought Apple was better than MS at this sort of thing. Very disappointed and now regret having relatively recently come over to Apple. Two iPads and two iPhones and now I find Apple is prepared for me to sit on the ground and not fly while they wonder why their testing process is rubbish. Not good enough by a long way. I fly with two iPads and an iPhone and the Dual XGPS160. The Dual GPS is super accurate picking up both GPS and GLONASS. Buy for the iphone, I could have been in real trouble.

and why can't Apple communicate the issue to their customers, apologise for ithe inconvenience and give us a timeframe for rectification?

wish I'd never come over to the dark side.

Apr 21, 2015 4:21 PM in response to deggie

True, nothing except the thousands of dollars wasted on two iPhones and two iPads.

Users of aviation software on iOS would not rank in the millions playing mindless games on their iOS equipment but it would be in at least the tens of thousands and their use has more to do with stayin' alive than killing some eVillain. I would love to send some feedback to Apple but they have demonstrated already how little they care about their customers so I might as well be sending it to Bill Gates. All I can do now is express my regret for having gone back to Apple and hope that others look a bit harder at the reality of Apple as opposed to the mythology that may have been alive when Jobs was still with us.

but thanks for the politeinvitation to bugger off.

Apr 21, 2015 4:33 PM in response to PilotDon

Would be interesting to know the sales numbers for bad elf and the others. As far as pilots I doubt that it is in the tens of thousands more like thousands. And how many of those pilots have the WiFi+Cellular model and don't use an external GPS?

Do you really think Apple intended to do this? How did they "demonstrate" how little they care for their customers? How many times with Apple devices has this happened to you now? How many times with MS?

Bill Gates is retired and Apple does pay attention to their feedback. Go here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html Volunteer. I'm actually surprised that Bad Elf and the others aren't developers with Apple and had access to the Beta's of 8.3. They would have discovered this before 8.3 was released. I have one app that was affected but they upgraded the same time as the release of 8.3 so the "outage" was short lived.

iOS 8.3 bluetooth bug...ugh!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.