Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.3 bluetooth bug, ugh!!!

So, Apple has done it again with iOS 8.3. I am an aircraft pilot. EVERYTHING I do is on my iPad. I just recently updated to iOS 8.3. Well, I went to take a flight yesterday, and my bluetooth GPS antenna would not connect. (yes, I have paper charts...but it's no fun trying to fly that way.) After 3 reboots, several forget device/connect to device...I got nowhere. Well, I didn't fly that day. However I managed to waste a lot of time going out to the airport, preflighting the airplane, and driving back home that day. I know this sounds like "new world problems". But aren't apple products supposed to "just work"?

Well, I got back home last night and found warnings posted all over every aviation webpage/blog/forum about this bug. It has been confirmed by several companies techies and they have ALL stated that this is an Apple error. Apple has also confirmed this.

sources...

https://seattleavionics.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/ios-8-3-problem-with-bluetooth- gps-and-ads-b-receivers/

http://bad-elf.com/blogs/bad-elf/18013536-alert-compatibility-issue-with-apple-i os-8-3-and-external-gps-receivers

I am now looking for solutions.... Some have downgraded their iPads back to 8.2. I really don't want to have to do this. But many people have blogged that the iOS 8.4 Beta does not fix the issue either. Thanks Apple....

I have all Apple products, and have been an ALL Apple consumer for the past 10 years. But this is unacceptable. Oh , by the way, all the pilots with Android devices are still flying without issue. I never thought I would EVER say this... But if this issue is not fixed VERY soon, I will be shopping for a new android device. I do NOT relish this thought, but every day with the iOS 8.3 bluetooth bug, is a day that I CAN'T FLY WITH GPS!!!!

I am sure other venues besides aviation are affected by this.... Any other solutions or rumors from the community are greatly appreciated.

Frustrated pilot.

iPad Mini, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 4:31 PM

7 replies

May 21, 2015 12:04 PM in response to firemediclex

Some gps manufactures have updated the firmware on their devices.

You can no longer down grade to 8.2. It's crazy that Apple prevents downgrades. It would solve this problem and wifi issues people have experienced with 8.x. I read where the NASA shuttle had two different implementations ( done by two separate teams on different hardware ) of their flight computer.

At one time apple indicated that they had a proposed fix for bluetooth in 8.4.

workarounds.

-- Try a cable connection for your device if allowed.

-- Toward the end, you will see some gps manufactures have updated their device firmware.

GPS data not available to apps after iOS 8.3 update

-- Try the public 8.4 beta.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/04/27/ios-8-4-public-beta-1-ios-8-4-beta-2-released-for -testing/

People are not commenting on whether or not there is a fix and it worked because of non-disclosure agreements for testing beta releases.

iOS 8.3 bluetooth bug, ugh!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.