Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad camera not functional is only the start of my problems

Greetings,

I have an ipad mini which I bought in September 2014. A few months ago the back camera stopped working, when I click on the camera app it might work for a second or 2 then freeze, or half the screen turns purple and locks up. Maybe after about 20 seconds it unfreezes momentarily then locks up again. Front camera works fine.

Compounding this is abysmal Apple support- I tried to contact Apple support 3 times and they suggested I 'bring in it'... However, the Hong Kong repair centres were booked solid. I tried to re-book a week later and it was booked solid again!

Either way, this is not convenient for me ( I work full time and have a newborn baby) to keep trying to contact Apple or run around to their service centres ( at least a 2 hour round trip for me) even if they could schedule me in.

Furthermore, yesterday in the middle of a presentation my VGA-Lightning adapter stopped working.

Firstly, why am I experiencing so many hardware failures? Is this normal? ( the fully booked service centres in Hong Kong suggest YES)

Is there a more convenient way to get these 2 items fixed? Courier, no questions asked replacements? ( Apple resellers dont want anything to do with broken stuff)

Finally, how long is this stuff going to take to fix? What extra problems can I expect?

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 5:02 PM

1 reply

Apr 20, 2015 5:14 PM in response to s0763349

If it has NEVER been jailbroke, here are some standard repair procedures:

First, try a system reset. It cures many ills and it's quick, easy and harmless...

Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears. You will not lose any apps, data, music, movies, settings, etc.

If the Reset doesn't work, try a Restore. Note that it's nowhere near as quick as a Reset. It could take well over an hour! Connect via cable to the computer that you use for sync. From iTunes, select the iPad/iPod and then select the Summary tab. Follow the on-screen directions for Restore and be sure to say "yes" to the backup. You will be warned that all data (apps, music, movies, etc.) will be erased but, as the Restore finishes, you will be asked if you wish the contents of the backup to be copied to the iPad/iPod. Again, say "yes."

At the end of the basic Restore, you will be asked if you wish to sync the iPad/iPod. As before, say "yes." Note that that sync selection will disappear and the Restore will end if you do not respond within a reasonable time. If that happens, only the apps that are part of the IOS will appear on your device. Corrective action is simple - choose manual "Sync" from the bottom right of iTunes.

If you're unable to do the Restore (or it doesn't help), go into Recovery Mode per the instructions here. You WILL lose all of your data (game scores, etc,) but, for the most part, you can redownload apps and music without being charged again. Also, read this.

If all of the above fails to help, don't forget that you have a one-year warranty.

Ipad camera not functional is only the start of my problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.