Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Combine .NRG files to library

On my new Windows 8.1 laptop I have imported my new CDs into iTunes using the Apple lossless format (hate MP3). On my old Windows machine I had copied a couple of hundred albums using Nero (.nrg) and iTunes on that system recognises and plays these. Each album is seen as 1 file with the iTunes icon and the .nrg extension. I have copied the .nrg files onto the drive where I keep my iTunes library on my new machine. These .nrg files all sit in a folder called AAAA. The files have all come across showing the iTunes icon next to them and the .nrg extension. How do I tell iTunes these files are there because it can't seem to find them?

itunes-OTHER, Windows 7, .nrg files

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 5:03 PM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2015 7:09 PM in response to brisbanebob

In general, you can add existing files to your iTunes library using any of these methods:

• drag and drop from Windows Explorer to an iTunes window
  • select File > Add Folder to Library..., navigate to and select the folder containing your files (or use File > Add File to Library... for individual files)
  • copy files to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder within the iTunes Media folder

However, I'm surprised that you were able to add / play .nrg files on your older system - this isn't documented anywhere as a format that iTunes can handle. Indeed, .nrg files are not audio files at all - they are disc images, analogous to ISO files used for software distribution. I guess that it is possible that you had some third party utility (or a component of the Nero suite) on your old system that allowed iTunes to open/play the content of these files.

Apr 20, 2015 7:50 PM in response to hhgttg27

Thanks for that. I have tried that with no joy but I will try again.

You are right about Nero - it was a disk image and I originally used it when I was using a different audio player. (Can't remember which one now.) Then I imported them into iTunes. I think iTunes read it by mounting it on a virtual drive.

User uploaded file

As you can see it was some time ago.

Thanks for your help - I will try it later today.

Combine .NRG files to library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.