Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[FaceTime] Anyway to get this to Apple's attention?!

I bought an iPhone 6 Plus from Qatar. It's factory unlocked, and Qatar allows all VoIPs no exceptions, even FaceTime.

I bought it from Ooredoo Qatar which is listed on Apple as a supported carrier offering LTE, FaceTime and MMS. FaceTime and Audio works once I insert my Ooredoo Qatar SIM, Vodafone Qatar or Etisalat Egypt. So basically any Middle Eastern SIM as long as it's not blocked on that specific carrier.

Once a non Middle Eastern SIM is inserted, FaceTime is no longer there. It's removed from the Home screen, settings, contacts and even Siri says it's restricted.

But why? After researching it for hours, chatting with Apple, reading online and taking a look at the differences between the Middle East carrier bundles, and T-Mobiles I found out the following;

iPhones and iPads with model number ending with "AE" will check the carrier bundle for a field called "AllowVOIP" if this field is set to off, or not available, the iPhone will remove FaceTime. If it's set to on then FaceTime is back

Now the problem is that only carriers in the Middle East include this field in their carrier bundles, because they know about it. Those in the U.S., and probably everywhere else have no idea about its existence..

Now, do you think there is anyway to bring this to Apple's attention?! This is really getting me mad that I bought a phone that supports almost all commercial LTE frequencies yet turns into almost a brick when used abroad.

FaceTime is life for me. Unfortunately it's the only way I can keep connected with my family and friends when traveling.

Note: I am not begging Apple to unlock FaceTime in countries that specifically asked Apple to block the feature for, I am asking if my iPhone can properly offer FaceTime when I travel to countries where it is not blocked, specially that my carrier (Ooredoo Qatar) allows FaceTime.

Note 2: I contacted Apple support and they confirmed my findings. They weren't able to offer any help though.

Potential fix: if the carrier bundle didn't include the "AllowVOIP" field then FaceTime should be enabled by default. FaceTime should only be blocked if the "AllowVOIP" field is there, and set to off.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 5:38 PM

4 replies

Apr 20, 2015 5:45 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Of course I used the link, but Apple probably gets thousands of suggestions on daily basis, so I am hoping that maybe, just maybe someone can escalate my suggestion to Apple. Probably my suggestion isn't any better than those submitted already, but I do believe it might be affecting Apple's sales in the Middle East.

I for one might never buy an Apple product from the Middle East again, and just wait till I get them from the U.S.

Apr 20, 2015 5:52 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I know it's created and published by carriers. I met a few working at Ooredoo Qatar who told me how everything works with Apple, And that is why I suggested this fix. Apple wont need to modify the current carrier bundles, or even notify them.

Countries where FaceTime is blocked as KSA and UAE already have "AllowVOIP" available in their carrier bundle and set to off, my carrier in Qatar has it set to on and that is why I have FaceTime. T-Mobile doesn't even have this field and that is why I lose FaceTime once my T-Mobile US SIM is inside. All Apple needs to do is enable FaceTime by default and only block it if asked specifically to do so by the "AllowVOIP" field.

[FaceTime] Anyway to get this to Apple's attention?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.