Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an elderly MacBook running OS.10.7.5. Lately my Mail application has been freezing upon opening. I want to delete the App and re-install it, but I can't get it to delete - does anyone know how ?.

I have an elderly MacBook running OS.10.7.5. Lately my Mail application has been freezing upon opening. I want to delete the App and re-install it, but I can't get it to delete - does anyone know how ?.

MacBook (13-inch), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 6:02 AM

Which is just as well, because the only way that you could get it back would be to re-install Lion, as the Mail app comes with Lion. It is not available as a separate download.

Can't suggest much regarding your freezing situation because you haven't provide any details about your email setup, i.e., email provider, IMAP, POP3, etc., or what changes you may have made before your Mail started freezing.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2015 6:02 AM in response to Richard Scotte

Which is just as well, because the only way that you could get it back would be to re-install Lion, as the Mail app comes with Lion. It is not available as a separate download.

Can't suggest much regarding your freezing situation because you haven't provide any details about your email setup, i.e., email provider, IMAP, POP3, etc., or what changes you may have made before your Mail started freezing.

Apr 21, 2015 3:19 AM in response to Richard Scotte

You can reinstall Mail by reinstalling your OS:

Restart the Mac while holding the CMD+R keys (this is a bit slower than a normal restart), then choose "Install OS", you need a good internet connection for that, it will take a while and then the Mac is restarted. No user data is touched (but of course you have backups!).

But perhaps you could post an etrechecklist first: download Etrecheck from www.etresoft.com and run it, post the list here from the clipboard (the copy button is at the bottom): perhaps it is not the Mail.app that causes this issue.

Lex

Apr 22, 2015 6:14 AM in response to Lanny

Thanks for that Lanny & Lex, What I have done so far has got me back to some extent.

My MacBook also has a login for my wife so I went there and copied Mail to a USB drive then back to my own login and dragged the mail app onto Desktop and put it into Applications. Then I was able to delete the original Mail app, which previously could not be done. My email is now working again via iCloud as previously. I still have to reinstall my gmail account but if that works then all is well.

I think your solution is the better one (more orthodox) and if I have further problems I will do as you suggest.

Thanks again, Richard S,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.