Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OK, getting ready to have AT

iMac with OS X Yosemite with TC using AT&T DSL modem. Switching to U-Verse, but AT&T is telling me that the U-Verse modem will also act as the wireless router, and the TC wireless should be turned off. Is this right? I'm a computer novice at best, and don't want the AT&T tech screwing up the TC. Looking for basic advice on how to manage the TC. Guessing it will now only be used for backup???

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 5:21 PM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2015 5:43 PM in response to POBBER

Switching to U-Verse, but AT&T is telling me that the U-Verse modem will also act as the wireless router, and the TC wireless should be turned off. Is this right?

Not necessarily. There is usually nothing wrong with having two wireless networks. You might want to continue to use the TC wireless for your normal network and reserve the ATT wireless for your "guests" or the kids......or......turn off the ATT wireless.

The TC will run circles around the Uverse router as far as wireless performance is concerned.

don't want the AT&T tech screwing up the TC.

The ATT tech has no business messing with the settings of the TC at all, unless you authorize this.

Apr 20, 2015 5:49 PM in response to Bob Timmons

WOW!!! Thanks so much Bob. Your reply is completely opposite of what I was told. The AT&T tech support I spoke with said their U-Verse modem would run circles around the TC. I've had the TC for 16 months, and my son claims the wireless is slower since it was installed. I thought it was faster. I see you respond to a lot of questions, and I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it comes out tomorrow. Again, appreciate the help!!!!

Apr 20, 2015 6:03 PM in response to POBBER

Not sure what TC version that you have, but if it is the new "tower" version of the TC, the TC is capable of about 7-8 times faster wireless speeds than the Uverse. Even if your TC is a few years old, it will deliver at least 2-3 times the speed that Uverse can ever hope to deliver.

How do I know this? I have Uverse and a Time Capsule....and anyone can look at the specifications of the products and easily see the difference.

All that I can say is that when the ATT "tech" came to install the Uverse router, he left quite embarrassed when I showed him what the Uverse was really doing. My 3 year old TC (not the new much faster model) delivered a wireless link speed of 450 Mbps. The Uverse topped out at 130 Mbps.

OK, getting ready to have AT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.