Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove FlashMall pop ups

How can I remove Flash Mall from my Mac Book Pro? I tried looking in the finder for ~Library/LaunchAgents as suggested and it isn't found. FlashMall has rendered Safari virtually useless.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 5:28 PM

2 replies

Apr 20, 2015 5:34 PM in response to Oldfielda

Click here and follow the instructions. If you're willing to use a tool to remove it(you don't need to, but may find it easier), you can instead run Adware Medic; this link is a direct download.

To access that folder manually, choose Go to Folder from the Finder's Go menu and provide ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ as the path. If they're not there, remove the ~ and try again.

(126430)

Apr 20, 2015 7:24 PM in response to Oldfielda

You installed the "Flashmall" trojan. Take the steps below to disable it.

Malware is always changing to get around the defenses against it. This procedure works as of now, as far as I know. It may not work in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for a more recent discussion, or start a new one.

Back up all data before continuing.

1. Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return. A folder named "LaunchAgents" will open.

2. Inside the folder you just opened, there may be files with a name beginning in any of the following ways:

com.crossrider

com.extensions

com.flashmall

com.webhelper

com.webtools

flashmall

UpdateDownloader

WebSocketServerApp

Some of these files may be absent. Move any that you have to the Trash and close the Finder window. Log out or restart the computer. The trojan will now be inactive, but there are a few more components of it that should be cleaned up.

3. Do as in Step 1 with this line:

~/Library/Application Support

A folder named "Application Support" will open. Inside it there may be a subfolder with this name:

webHelperApp

If so, move that subfolder—not the "Application Support" folder—to the Trash.

4. Open this folder in the same way as above:

~/Library/ScriptingAdditions

and remove an item named

BrowserHelper.osax

if present.

5. Open this folder:

~/Library

Look for subfolders with either of these names:

flashmall

WebTools

and move them to the Trash, if present.

6. Open the Applications folder. If it contains an item named "Flashmall" or "WebTools", move that to the Trash.

Empty the Trash.

7. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Uninstall all extensions you don't know you need. If in doubt, remove all of them. None is required for normal operation. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those.

How can I remove FlashMall pop ups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.