Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect Apple TV to an older TV?

I used to connect my iPad to the TV through a specific lead which had the red/yellow/white inputs (sorry - not sure of the technical term!) and that worked really well - when I lost my iPad and replaced with the newer version, this lead would no longer work and only gave me audio through the TV. Therefore I was considering using the Apple TV, but our TV is quite old (around 8 years). It works perfectly well so I don't really want to replace it. It seems our TV does not have the connections needed to use Apple TV. In our house we have a full Airport Mac network (plus MacBook Pro & iMac) so I think everything else is ok, just not the TV...

I've taken a photo of the connections on the front of the TV (below), on the back of the TV are the usual red/yellow/white options (it was too dark back there to take the photo!).

Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to set this up - or do I need to face the fact that our TV needs to be replaced...?

Thanks to you all in advance!

User uploaded file

AppleTV 2

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 8:14 PM

HDMI is the only supported method, there will be no guarantee with converters. Even if it did work you would have issues with resolution, and be unable to view protected content (ie iTunes, Netflix). Functionality could as cease at any time. It would be best to purchase a newer TV

8 replies

Apr 21, 2015 5:39 AM in response to lcg97

This can be done - I've just connected an Apple TV 3 to my 12-year-old Samsung with good results and some limitations.

What you're showing in your picture is composite video with left & right audio. You can get HDMI to composite converters; assuming a decent converter, you'll get a picture and sound. But - with reduced quality - composite is the lowest quality of video connection available (becquse it squeezes the video into one of the 3 connectors)

Have a look at your TV's manual and see whether there are any other types of connector, possibly at the back (many TVs have loads of odd conenctions round the back).

Possible options are :

SCART (more common on European devices,so maybe not on yours)

DVI (not very common, but my old TV has DVI, so yours might)

Component video (splits the video into three channels, so you end up with 5 connections - 3 for video and 2 for audio)

If your TV isn't HD, the picture won't be perfect. If your TV *is* HD, then there should be an HDMI connector - Panasonics often have them at the back.

Hope that helps

Apr 21, 2015 9:23 AM in response to nick101

While it may be possible on a non-HDMI display, it is a slim chance and there will be no guarantee even when using the same converter. As stated, protected content would be blocked (if using DVI one would need to check on HDCP compliance as some do support). Again, functionality could cease anytime and it will be hard to troubleshoot when on an unsupported setup.

Apr 21, 2015 10:28 AM in response to vazandrew

vazandrew wrote:

While it may be possible on a non-HDMI display, it is a slim chance and there will be no guarantee even when using the same converter. As stated, protected content would be blocked (if using DVI one would need to check on HDCP compliance as some do support). Again, functionality could cease anytime and it will be hard to troubleshoot when on an unsupported setup.

Those are fair points, and a lot depends on where you are. I'm in the UK and things are no doubt different here from the USA or other parts of the world.

Having said that, it's up to the OP to decide whether there's merit with experimenting with a low-cost (possibly as low as $10 for DVI) option before replacing what seems to be a perfectly functional TV at a much greater cost.

Apr 21, 2015 10:43 AM in response to nick101

Location would be irrelevant as far as connection is concerned, HDMI is the only supported method regardless and HDCP would be required for any protected content (the services available would be based location). There isn't going to be any guarantee and even if 2 users use the same converter that doesn't mean it will work for both. Even then, since it is not a supported setup issues will come up and functionality could go at any point.

Yes, it would be up to the OP but to say that it will work is not entirely true and I don't recommend it based on the eventual aggravation that will occur.

How to connect Apple TV to an older TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.